Does anybody know how to make fondant and the sugar icing that goes underneath it?

I want to make my sons birthday cake and I love how smooth the fondant looks. I'm looking for a recipe for the fondant and for the sugar icing that goes underneath. Also if anyone has a really good cake recipe.

SheriSanchez

Asked by SheriSanchez at 12:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You can buy fondant mix through Wilton. I get it at Wal-Mart. I don't remember the buttercream recipe. but, it is in a Wilton book too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yeah you can buy it at Michaels Craft Store too. When I bought it at walmart is was old and hard...bummer because that stuff is expensive. You can definitely by the yummy buttercream at a local bakery if you are crunched for time.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I will look at Michaels. I kindof want to do a practice run with a small cake this week, before I try it on the birthday cake.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Check out the cake101 group here on CM. There are a lot of recipes on there and some great women who have great ideas and tips!

JPmommyNH

Answer by JPmommyNH at 10:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• You can buy it or its easy enough to find recipes if you google marshmallow fondant. Be aware though that it doesnt taste wonderful.... thats why I decided against it for Ella's cake. I want her to indulge her cake, not think WTF is this LOL. Have fun! I always make my kids' bday cakes, its a blast :)
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 9:06 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Thats true mamabuggy, I do plan on making him a part of the cake that is all his that he can dig in too. I might say to heck with the fondant. I am so excited for his birthday.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 3:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Here this recipe is good. IMO store bought stuff is really nasty.Its Marshmallow fondant
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm. Also like mentioned already Cake 101 is an awesome group full of ideas and recipes. Dianes Cakery from the group will help answer your questions also. Shes awesome.
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Thank you soooo much for Cake101 group. I found cakecentral.com from there. I am going to put one of those little teddy bears cakes decorated like a little hockey player on top of a sheet cake covered with your marshmellow fondant to resemble an ice rink. I just hope I can get it too Minot, ND in one piece.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 7:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009