I'm starting the wonderful world of potty training for my 2yr old son, does anyone have any suggestions on brand or type of training seats?

For ex: the one that attaches to the seat, or the stand alone? A specific brand that worked best.

D-on

Asked by D-on at 12:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There really isn't a "best". When I was shopping for one, I read every review I could find (try Amazon) and every seat had good points and bad ones. Some parents (and kids) loved the seat, some hated it.
    Here are some things to look for:
    Easy to disassemble and clean. The one piece seats are good for this. Some of the multi piece seats are next to impossible to get apart for a deep cleaning and pee gets EVERYWHERE!
    The seat attaches firmly to the little stand or to the toilet. Seats that slip scary and can pinch little bottoms.
    Some kids like the vinyl seats, some hate how it sticks to them.
    The little bump/pee guard at the front is soft enough to not hurt a little boy's parts. Since boys can push down on themselves to make sure the pee goes in the potty, these aren't really needed for boys.

Overall we liked the Primo Ducka seat adaptor and the IKEA single piece potty ($4!!!).
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Well, I started my son with pooping on the big potty with the smaller seat that fits on top. I got mine at walmart for 10-15 bucks and you can choose from different characters. I started with pooping because it happens less often during the day and I got SOOO sick of changing poopy diapers. My son was also two. 27 months actually. Then we went to peeing. Depending on how long your son can hold it, you should take him about five to ten mins before he usually goes. Keep him in a pull up all day one day and just check every fifteen mins or so if he has gone. That way you know how long he's holding it. Instead of rewarding him with things like candy and toys, try a sticker chart, and when he fills up a row, you take a special "potty trip". Like the zoo, or picnic at the park, or chuck e cheese, or mcdonalds play land. Hope this helps =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• We were glad to have the stand alone for the first few days so it could be in the room she was playing in (we moved her straight to underwear), but she actually ended up liking the potty ring better. We were glad because we could put it on any public toilet and it was just like home, so she had no issues whatsoever in public, not to mention the potty ring you just have to flush, not clean and dump, etc.. I guess some kids really like the little stand-alone potty better. At Target you can get a basic Circo potty with no bells and whistles for about $10 and a ring that fits to the seat for about $11, so it's not impossible to offer both options.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I ahven't started with my 2 yr old son yet but the one piece of advice I got from a mom of three was go simple. The fewer parts, the easier it is to clean and the fewer things that can break. I would absolutely make sure it's easy to clean.
    Anonymous

• We had a Safety First one with a cushy seat. I'd rather have used a one piece but my little prince refused to sit on a hard throne, discerning little man. It was too bad to clean though, just rinse off the cushy part and wash out the insert bowl. Once a day or so I'd wash down the other pieces just to catch any odd drips. It was one of those that separates in to an insert for the toilet and a step stool. He didn't want the insert (he just preferred the regular seat which meant I didn't have to take a seat out with us) but we still use the step stool now and he's been trained for well over a year now.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Outside.. It is the best "seat" out there.. PLUS its so fun mama...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• take him to the bathroom with you every time you go, then in between your bathroom times, any potty thing will do, personally I like the no frills training toilet. easier to care for and clean.
    mackk

Answer by mackk at 5:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009