How do you refer to a spose that has pasted away.

I am in a relation where my boyfriends wife passed away. He still refers her to his wife so I feel kind of weird. What should you refer them too? They aren't technically still married, but not divorced so its not Ex. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• well it is his wife. sorry.
    Anonymous

• She was his wife until she died. When talking to others I'd mention his deceased wife or that he was now a widower so people would know when you referred to his "wife" it would be his now deceased wife.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Well, first of all it would be a spouse who has passed away. Pasted is the way you stick something on a piece of paper or how you hang wallpaper...you have pasted it up. Know what I mean?
    But anyway,you could say "deceased spouse" ? Or Widow...if it is a woman.
    Anonymous

• How about his "late wife"
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 12:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• yes proper term would be "late"
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I would guess "Late Wife" would be the proper term.... but its up to him what he is comfortable with saying.
    Anonymous

• "Late Wife" is the proper term. I should know...since I've had a late husband and a live husband for several years now. I refer to the dead one by his first name and his mother who was once my MIL, I call by her first name or my kids' grandmother. Yeah it gets confusing. I go with whatever gets me the fewest stupid questions from people whose business it isn't anyway!  There is no good name for the live/2nd spouse.  2nd wife implies divorce.  Current wife sounds so temporary.  Perhaps if you marry he will call you his bride. You should refer to her as "his late wife Jenny (or whatever her name is)"  when talking to others about her and be perpared to cut it back to just her first name as people get familiar with the situtation.  Plenty of other people have been through this.  You will be okay.  good luck. 

Anonymous

• When your grandfather dies and you talk about him in a story, you call him grandfather right, It's the same thing. She will always be his wife.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Late wife too, matbe that is better
    Rachel24517

• The politically correct term is "late wife."
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2009