5 yr old with diarehha

My son has been having diarehha (sp) for 5 days. He doesn't want to eat and has thrown up a few times. He is not acting like himself and we can't get into see the dr until tomorrow at 1pm. What else can I do? He doesn't want anything to drink or eat? I get scared b/c he was hospitalized for dehydration when he was 8 mo while I was nursing and it was the middle of winter in WI

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Take him, to the E.R.- my daughter had food posining once and had diareeha for days. The will give him an I.V. and run tests, but even if it's just a virus-better safe then sorry!
    Anonymous

• Call the family doctor and tell him--your going to the hospital if he can not see him right away, because he is showing signs of dehydratiom-you think. Tell him if you have hmo that your going to the hospital, just so you know the insurance will pay for it. Maybe he might see you if he feels it is a emergency,***** but if it where my kid-i would just go to the er today-cause the doctors office can not run all those tests or start an iv.
    Anonymous

• Take him to an Urgent Care/Walk in clinic or ER. It is not good for him to have diahrrea for that long. He isn't eating or drinking, he needs to be seen now. Don't wait for the doctors appointment. You need to find out what is wrong with him and get him treatment.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• all of the above!
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 3:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I would play a "drinking game" with him to encourage drinking. You can change the rules to just about any game... a good one is memory game... each match someone gets they have to drink a certain amount (med cups work GREAT because they are about an ouce) but everyone playing has to drink too or it's no fun. Other games work too, you just have to make a new rule... like whenever you roll a 2 or land on a red square or whatever.
    Offer things like popsicles and jello... things that are a little bit more "fun" but count as drinking.
    Get a new special cup or straw to make drinking more fun.
    Give small prizes for drinking a certain amount. So... give a sticker for every ounce and after 5 oz he gets a small prize.

Watch for signs of dehydration- not peeing for 8 hours, no tears, dry lips, lethargic

There is a TON of rotavirus going around right now... there is a good chance that is what he has.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2009