Yeast infection treatment for 18 month old daughter?

My daughter is 18 months old and I'm pretty sure she has a yeast infection. We have been treating it as a diaper rash but it has started spreading with no improvement. We've tried every diaper rash ointment out in stores with no luck. I happened to hear someone talking about their toddler getting a yeast infection and it sounded exactly like what my daughter has. I have read in NUMBEROUS places that you can use Lotrimin but on the box it says 2 years and up. So, I'm a little cautious to put this on her since she is not quite 2. Anyone have any advice or ideas on what I can do to help clear this up?

nickylee81

Asked by nickylee81 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nystatin
    Anonymous

• Yup, Nystatin.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• You can still use Lotramin, I buy the store brand version all the time, it's totally safe to use even on infants! You can also have her eat plain yogurt or buy Acidophiles and mix it in some juice, both will help rebalance the natural yeast in her gut. Oatmeal or baking soda baths will help the actual rash feel better. If none of those work after a few days, then take her to the doctor for Nystatin.
    jadeyes81383

Answer by jadeyes81383 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Nystatin or if that doesn't work i would recommend the tube of Canesten or a no name brand which is cheaper and we use that no name brand, or life brand from the pharmacy. We tried nystatin and it did not clear up my daughters, i then bought our usual and within 5 days she was cleared up. I asked my doctor why nystatin did not work and her answer was, the yeast in the city where i live is resistent to it. So i'm sure it's different everywhere... Good luck!
    LilStar9905

Answer by LilStar9905 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• You can get Nystatin from your doctor. but we use lotramin AF.
    Jerusha_83

Answer by Jerusha_83 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My doc recommended a cream with Clotrimazole (athlete's foot cream). Works great. The nystatin works too, but dd is gettings used to is since she's got them so often. She's under 2 and has used both.
    Anonymous

• Give her yogurt. The acidophylus counteracts the yeast. It's a great remedy.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Are you sure it's not the diapers? I could only use Huggies. Every other brand caused rashes.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2009