how can i get my daughter to be able to understand the word no

my daughter is 8 months old shes always getting into cabinets and pulling herself onto stands and pulling everything down and i always tell her no but she doesn't seem to understand i need help!!

britt3063

Asked by britt3063 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• **i didn't mean for that to be anon.. i'm :57.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 1:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• tell her no, then redirect her actions
    Anonymous

• You have to reinforce it by moving her, trying to get her attention else where, and EVERY TIME she does it until she starts responding to no, when you tell her no your going to have to go move her.
    Anonymous

• just be consistent with what you do.. she'll get it eventually..

when you say "NO" stick with it. and take her away from the cabinets.

my daughter sorta gets it now. but i'm wondering if she knows, and just ignores me to see what i'll do. (she's almost a year now) haha!

but you can't tell your child "NO" and not do anything one day, or "NO" and do something the next. you'll need to be consistent, otherwise she'll think she can get away with it.

when i catch my daughter doing something, i'll tell her "NO", she'll stop look at me, i'll shake my head (no), then she'll do the same (shake her head "no"), and either she'll listen to me and go somewhere else to play or continue with what she was originally doing, if she does the latter i pick her up and put her in her play area or.. take whatever she wasn't supposed to have.

don't worry your child will get it eventually. it's still early, but even then.. imagine her at 2.
    Anonymous

• Swat or spank (gasp) her hand/bum and tell her no, it's naughty. After a couple of times she won't do it again. Has always worked w/ mine. Just swat easily, not hard.
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 1:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I would smack them an say NO! after awhile they didnt wanna be smacked.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anonymous 12:57....Just be consistent, and eventually she will understand. I would not recommend spaking or smacking an EIGHT MONTH OLD....
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• be firm when you say no, then find a distraction. (favorite toy, etc).. It may take a while, but they will get it eventually. Also try investing in things to keep them out of the cabinets. Even hair ties are better than nothing. (if you have the nobs, they work better than the store bought kind)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2009