Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Question About Filing For Custody

My husband and I just relocated to Massachusetts from New York where we have a closed case in Manhattan Family Court. My step son came to live with us because he was out of control at his mother's house and was telling teachers he wanted to kill himself. Anywho I just wanted to know if anyone knew if we could file a petition for custody here in Massachusetts now that we live here or do we have to go back to New York because that is where the bio mom lives? Our other case has already been closed. Thanks.


Asked by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 12:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • go to then link to Know the Law or go to (that is 2 v's not a w) and talk free to an attorney. You could also call the local courthouse and ask or call an attorney's office and just ask that general question. All are good places to ask an expert who knows.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • you can file in your current state but first you need to have the divorce and parenting plan registered for enforment and domesticated in your new state.

    Answer by Vanessannd at 12:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • this can take time, so i might be easier and faster to just do it in NY then have if registred and domesticated in MASS. Is the BM fighting it or does she want you two to have custody of him? If she is not fighting you the process in NY is just a simple motion to the court - change of primary custody. - signed and dated by your hubby and his ex and notorized.

    Answer by Vanessannd at 12:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • all you should have to do is have the courts transfer the case. And it would go wherever the child is located.

    Answer by ZaTa at 1:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2009