Is giving Peanut Butter and Jelly everyday for an afternoon snack bad or too much?

This is what my kids ask for in the afternoons I do suggest other foods but they say no.

PB&J it is...along with milk

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds yummy to me-got any extra??
    Anonymous

• they will eventually ask for something else.... my kids go through phases like that. My oldest wanted nothing but frozen burritos for snack over a LONG period of time. But she hasn't asked for one in probably over a month now. Now she's moved on to bagels with cream cheese or PB&J for after school snack.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My child has been eating that everyday since he was tiny. He is healthy and not overweight. I will say, make sure they brush their teeth well after...it is a very mushy stick in your teeth kindof food and will cause prob if not careful.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• The PB has protein, the milk has protein, calcium, vitamin D. Whole grain bread would enhance the nutrition. Cut up bananas, raisins, applesauce, instead of jelly, would cut back the amount of empty sugar. A better snack would be fruit or cut up vegetables or a hard cooked egg, or PB on apples or in celery sticks, but really, the PB&J sandwich isn't all that bad. If you can improve it with whole grains and fruits, it would be even better.

Answer by Bmat at 1:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• They may not move on....my son is 13. This started at 1.
    BradenIsMySon

• The jelly has sugar in it and probably high frutose corn syrup. If you could find an organic or all natural one that would be better. And the PB unless it is all natural or organic has hydrogenated oils in it which lower good cholesterol and raise bad cholesterol so buy organic or all natural of that as well. These usually can be purchased in your regular grocery store as well.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 1:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• if u want to feel better about it maybe u should try and do peanut butter with sliced strawberries or sliced bananas? maybe u can slice the fruit and give it to them for them to make funny faces on their bread spread with peanut butte? but otherwise id say its ok- the peanut butter has lots of protein and is not that bad for u- as long as u like the pp said get the all natural- my kids actually prefer it- but i wouldnt worry too much- eventually theyll get tired of the same thing and move on to something else
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Another suggestion is to change the jelly for preserves. It has more fruit in it. But overall unless they are eating loads of jelly it won't hurt them. Like others have said pb has tons of protein, if you can get them to do whole grain bread that's even better, and we all now how important milk is.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• my oldest always asks for peanut butter- but she doesn't like jelly... there have benn days where all she would eat is a peanut butter sammich (on wheat) I wondered if I was bad mommy for letting her do that but she seems ok
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 1:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Like I said...Mine has been eating them from around age one till now age 13. He is very healthy and no problems. We use regular PB, red plum jam or preserves and White Wheat bread.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2009