6yr old son has melt downs

My 6 yr old son is quite the handfull.. He was diagnosed with ADHD back 3-4 years ago, recently like in the last few months he has been having these out of control melt downs, where he is completely unsatisfiable. He screams he yells he has hit me several times in the face. I have taken him to the pediatricain and she just adjusted his meds and told me to take him to counseling. What do I do? Im at a loss and sometimes its just a hopeless fight with him.. Punishing him by taking things he enjoys the most just makes him enraged, putting him in a room by himself he puts holes in the walls.. Im at a loss..

Tearstar

Asked by Tearstar at 1:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son was diagnosed adhd and odd at 5 years old with adhd present at 3 1/2. I know exactly where you're coming from. You definitely should look into dietary and counseling. behavioral psychologists work well. they will help you do behavoir mod and also understand what the triggers really are. It will take time, but know that you aren't alone. If you would rather have someone NOT judge you, I know of another site that has a forum for our children.

p.s. church is really good, but not going to break a chemical imbalance or genetic trait.

During the Easter service when we were renewing our baptismal vows, my son answered "no" and "no way" to all of the questions..... ugh... at least he said it softly, so no one else heard.
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 2:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Get him in Sunday School at church (Southern Baptist) He needs to learn why he should respect you!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• he attends church every sunday with my mother who is southern baptist as well
    Tearstar

Answer by Tearstar at 1:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• WTH?!.....To the first poster.

Mine is an angel till he has red dye #40 lake. Maybe look into his diet. If my son has that, he is the devil spawn. And all because he had the food coloring. Not because he's a bad kid.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree with the poster above diet may be a factor.  But don't stop there. He should be evaluated by a developmental pediatrician or psychologist. There are any number of things that this could be, even the medication for the adhd. Ask for a referral from your pedi. if they are unwilling then it is time to find a new doctor.

Is this happening at school?  If so the school may also help. If he is on an IEP for special ed, or a 504 call a meeting and ask for a school psychologist evaluation.  If he is not in school or isn't receiving services call an intake meeting.  It will take a while and you may have to fight for it but they are required by law to give him an evaluation.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• 2mothershelpers CHURCH IS NOT THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING WOULD YOU QUIT GOING ON HERE AND PUSHING CHURCH ON EVERYBODY GO TO THE FUCKING RELIGIOUS SECTION IF CHURCH IS ALL YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT
    Anonymous

• yes this is going on at school.. he has been kicked out several times due to the violence and the fits.. the red dye is something i want to look into.. as a younger child he couldnt have it, it broke him out into hives. I have a appointment at a counseling center on the 27th to get him started in that department. they said after a eval that he will be referred to a child psycologist. if need be.. meanwhile its very stressing, i cry myself to sleep because i emotionally am unable to take what he has to dish out. my significant other has to step in from time to time and just get between us and send us on our seprate ways because it gets loud and just real bad. My significant other does not touch my son dicipline wise. My sons father is of no help but has a history of mental illness but will not tell anyone what it is.
    Tearstar

Answer by Tearstar at 1:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i also wanted to add that he is a wonderful bright and smart little boy, loads of fun to hang out with, and a huge help around the house when he isnt having what i call a episode.. especially 1 on 1.. we have so much fun.. I just wish i could find a solution so i can enjoy my lil boy instead of having to fight with him on almost a nightly basis..
    Tearstar

Answer by Tearstar at 1:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Your son and mine must be brothers LOL. My sone is great too till he has the dye, is overly tired or is subconsciencely mad about something. When he is mad, I can usually talk to him and finally bring it to a head...and we can talk it out and he gets better. I think he also has another food trigger, but, I can't put my finger on it. When I know he is tired, I just hold out till Friday night...he will sleep till almost Sunday morning. Then he is an absolute angel.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Also, I have found that the way you approach my son with certain "demands"...will set him off. You have to kinda talk him into an idea. Then he is fine with it. If you just tell him to do or think something...melt down. He has had problems with certain teachers because of this. But, some will approach him differentally and he is better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2009