how old must your child be when you first take him to the dentist?

or what requirements are there? i'm just wondering, my dd is 11 months, and finally has her first tooth. and i never really thought about it until now.

when do i have to take her to the dentist? and should i start brushing her tooth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes.... start brushing her tooth now.

My kids started going at 2, but our insurance didn't start paying until they were 3
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Start brushing now even if it's just using the toothbrush or like we used was a thing that you put on your finger to brush their teeth.

As far as going to the dentist all my kids were supposed to go at 2 but didn't get in until closer to 3.
    shanibug06

Answer by shanibug06 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• yes you can brush the tooth! you dont even have to worry about the swallow-friendly toothpaste but I use that occasionally. I have a great toothbrush which fits on my finger and it's very soft bristled! i have my fingers crossed that we'll be eligible for medicaid. the infant medicaid ends at the end of this month since he's a year old. i think the good starting age for dental visits is maybe age 2 unless of course it's a dental emergency than earlier
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• of course start brushing, its also good to brush her gums too even before her teeth come in. My dd loves the finger brush! I think that you are suppost to contact the densist after their tooth comes through, my dd doctor told me a general rule is up to a year after their first tooth but it could be different with the dentist.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• none of our local dentists will take them before 4! We have to drive 2 hours to see one! my son just turned 2.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I took my daughter to the pediatric dentist at 22 months. They didn't do any cleaning or X-rays. He just looked in her mouth. We have been going every 6 months since then. I love her dentist because they never forced my daughter to do anything. After about a couple of visits she was comfortable enough to get X-rays and get her teeth cleaned and my daughter is almost 5 yrs old now and she likes going to the dentist, We were fortunate enough that our dental insurance paid for the visits. I also got her a Dora goes to the dentist book and I read that to her so the dentist office wouldn't seem so scary.
    momof2girlz33

Answer by momof2girlz33 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Age 2 to 3 is pretty standard. If you have a dentist that you go to, see if they will let you bring DD with you for one of your visits (maybe have DH or a friend come with you so they can take DD out if needed). Also, see if you can make your first visit just a check up--no cleaning or scary stuff. And brush that little tooth! Remember, it is the action of brushing, not the toothpasts so much, that keeps teeth clean (wipe her gums with a soft cloth as well).
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• my doctor told me 6 months after their first tooth comes in, they should be scheduled for a dentist appointment.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Just ask your daughter's pediatrician for a dentist they recommend. They usually know a pretty good one that they recommend all of their patients to. Then, call that dentist and ask them what age they usually like to start seeing children. Most will say around 2-3 is a good age, as they are able to sit still better and listen to the dentist and do what they ask. I had to take my dd to the dentist a couple of months ago when she busted her mouth and cut the piece of skin between her top teeth and her top lip. She also knocked her two front teeth loose a little, and we had to go to the dentist a total of 3 times (so far) to make sure the teeth were tightening up. Unless your LO has some form of trauma like that, I wouldn't suggest taking them to the dentist for a couple of years. Just make sure you try your best to scrub her little tooth/teeth after each meal/snack. Good luck and congrats!
    bugs-momma

Answer by bugs-momma at 3:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009