When cooking with alcohol....

the alcohol burns off right? So if I wanted to cook with beer or wine it would be okay for my three year old to eat? Just want to make SURE WAYYYYYY before I even attempt it....
=]

mommykayti

Asked by mommykayti at 1:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yep! Its OK. Just make sure you cook it well after you add the beer or wine. (like a shot of wine at the very end of the simmering might not all cook off)

I don't anymore, but I used to cook with beer all the time.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yes, it all cooks out and only the flavor is left.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• yes it burns off.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 1:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• veronica, can i ask why you stopped?
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 1:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• That it all cooks out is not true unless it is cooked for a long time. I googled it and found that some of the alcohol cooks out, but that it takes 3 hours of cooking before it all cooks out.

Answer by Bmat at 1:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=58;t=000965;p=1

Here is a discussion of the subject with even more links.

Answer by Bmat at 1:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• "veronica, can i ask why you stopped?"

Sure....

When I cooked with beer it was because my ex used to drink beer all the time and it was always in the fridge. Now that I am on my own, I only drink a couple times a year, so I very rarely have it at the house anymore.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Oh okay. We don't ever drink. I was actually going to have my dad go to the store and just grab like a single can or whatever so I could cook with it. I'm not even twenty one yet, so I can't even buy it. But I heard its REALLY good to cook with. Thanks so much ladies!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 1:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• And I read some of those answers in that question Bmat, and maybe I didn't read far enough but all I could find is that you have to cook longer at a higher temp. Thanks again though ladies =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 1:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2009