Need advice on Natural birth

The other day my DH asked me if I was going to have another epidural with this child because he would like if one of his children could come out not being 'drugged'. I said I was taking the epidural but now I am having second thoughts. I had complications with my first delivery, the umbilical cord was attached wrong and the placenta got stuck in my uterus, I was hemoriging because of it, so I am a little scared to go through something like that again, it was very painful even with the epidural. Also I dont know if I will be able to handle labor without drugs. I would love to try but is there any suggestions or advice or just stories about your natural labor expeirence that could help me get the courage to go natural????

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 1:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had my 2nd one natural and would never do it again...so here's a BUMP for you
    FL_Mommy_2

Answer by FL_Mommy_2 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I did it without any drugs. I just knew I could and knew that I didn't want a big needle in my back and to be numb. I would say to walk while in labor and relax...cause it can be done. And yes, it will hurt, but, not enough that you can't live through it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• First off the child is not drugged. I had one but it came out an hour later for some reason. I had my daughter naturally and the pain was something I will never forget but worth every second. I went 6 hours before having it done and she was born 9 hours after labor started. So my epidural was pointless as they no sooner put it in and got it going and it came out. Its your body not your husbands. I told mine if he has an issue with it then I will shove a watermelon up his ass for him to push it out to see how it feels.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I'm a childbirth educator and I had a natural birth with my daughter. My best advice is to enroll in a natural childbirth class and read as much as you can. Childbirth Without Fear by Dr. Grantley Dick Read is good, and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin is another good one. Your Best Birth by Ricky Lake and Abby Epstien is a good one, but I don't know if it's available yet (I have an advanced reader copy).

Women have done this for generations and generations back to the beginning of time. You can do it too! If you have any questions or want to talk about what to expect just PM me, I'm a pretty good resource.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Brailyn's mom, the baby IS drugged. Epidurals affect the baby too, sometimes severely.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I am having a home birth, no drugs available and I like it that way. I never had an epidural though. "Ina May's guide to Childbirth" and "Birthing from Within" are great books. Anything on hypnobirthing and bradley method are very helpful.

Laboring without drugs isn't difficult. It's all about mindset and not allowing yourself to be strapped to hospital beds! You need to have freedom, and no fear, and confidence! There are so many resources available to you, you just need to look. Join the Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth group! It's very helpful.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Well I would love to go natural, the epidural hurt really bad and I always flinch when needles are around me. I know that the babys arent drugged, its just what my DH said and it made me not want any drugs. When I got my epidural labor slowed down a lot and I probably wouldve had her sooner if I didnt get the epidural.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Any drug given in labor, drugs the baby. Plain and simple. Her husband has every right to be concerned about their child. It may be her body, but it's also his baby. My husband definitely wants this birth to be better than the one with Becka and I am so glad to have his support and he wants a homebirth, with an undrugged baby, as much as I do.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I am too scared to do the epidural...I have 82 days more to go. I delivered my first son naturally no drugs...I won't lie it was painful and I endured all 22 hours of it, taking baths and sitting under the water at the hospital helped so much! My second son, I had all intentions of delivering natural...at about 15 hours i wasn't dialated enough so I opted to take demerol...it doesn't take the pain away but it makes it a little more comfortable plus, about an hour or so later it was like a miracle and the baby wasn't waiting anymore..I kept telling everyone he was coming...my husband and mom were the only ones in the room...i popped the baby out on a metal table without a doc...I still had reactions from the meds so I as exhausted as I was..I knocked out for a few hours..I mean I get credit for a natural if I endured 15 hours right? Anyways with this pregnancy..another boy...trying natural again...
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• OP wanted info on how to deal with pain unmedicated, not a discussion on whether the baby is drugged or not..

with both of mine, I *did* take natural childbirth classes (lamaze is one) they focus on breathing, and "centering".... Your body produces endorphines during the labor/delivery process = they ARE naturally-produced pain killing substances. Distance runners, other athletes produce the SAME substances to get them through an event..

Watch weightlifters (ones that know what they are doing, not those dinks that are hard-core into shows) and watch how they breathe when they lift = you want to do the same thing ,,, slow, deep breaths in and out during labor = it regulates your blood flow, which will regulate your endorphine distribution, which will ease the pain. Also, it relaxes you, and therefore your muscles so they can do the job they were built to do = help deliver a baby.

I did this, and didn't have stitches
    archaeodani

Answer by archaeodani at 1:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2009