Will your child believe?

Are you going to teach your child to believe in Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc? What are your reasons for doing so or not doing so? If you are, how do you expect them to realise/react when they find out these arent real?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Holidays

• I'm not going to tell my kids a lie, and already let my son know that Santa doesn't exist. Will tell my daughter the same when she is old enough to understand. Lying to your child doesn't get anywhere, only will teach them that to be dishonest is okay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I did it with my son because it is fun. He was fine with finding out they aren't real. He said he will do it with his kids. It was done with me and I loved it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Nope. I will not lie to my child over something like that. She will know its us buying her things so she learns to appreciate what she gets and doesn't think she will get it from "santa" or anyone else. She is also not allowed to trick or treat because we do not want her going door to door taking food from people and thinking its okay.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• We will not teach these to our children. We don't care that others do b/c to each their own but we want our daughter to know the true meaning of these holidays not b/c of the Easter Bunny or Santa. She has seen both of them in stores and such and we wave but don't do pics with them. I am not bashing anyone for what they do but this is what works best for us.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 1:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• We are teaching them to think of them more as spirits than as actual people. Not much to confuse there.
    Anonymous

• yes my daughter will be raised to believe, she will also know the meaning of the holidays. i believe part of it is believing in magic and thats something kids need to believe in. as for when she finds out they aren't real, i didn't have a problem with it when i found out and don't know anyone else who felt as if their parents had lied to them, more like given them the gift of being young and believing in the magic of life.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I feel the same way how brailynsmama08. Cause why have them think one way and at the end you have to tell them it was me.
    Mz.PhatPhat

Answer by Mz.PhatPhat at 1:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• So...trick or treating will make your child automatically just go to random doors and ask for food...Mine wouldn't, he was taught that it's only for that day. I don't see the logic. And, you can teach the real meaning. It's not a LIE...it's a fun thing to do. No one was ever emotinally scarred from celebrating these things. Some were by seeing others have fun with and not being allowed just because. Religion is one things, but, just because is crazy.
    Anonymous

• We have carried on this tradition with our children to believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. It brings such excitement to them. Of course, they will not believe forever. I don't consider it lying to them. They'll still be greatful and appreciative when they find out it's us.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• YAY....vabchmommy!!!!! Exactly right.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2009