Do you think attatchment parenting causes neediness?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I hate my typos. Sorry. =)
    Angelfey

Answer by Angelfey at 1:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No.... I think "needy" babies are going to be needy whether you practice Attachemnt Parenting or not.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Well if the child is attached to its parents all the time and is never left alone it doesn't learn independence. We all need our space including our kids. I don't use the method and at times my child is needy but she is 7 months old. I know people who do use it and their kids are stuck to them like white on rice and they never have a moment alone. I guess if you want a 5 year old stuck to you all the time then do what you feel is right for your children.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Nope. In fact I see more well rounded children who are attached. From what I've seen they are happier children. They need to be loved and held as much as they want. Its funny how people call it spoiling. Yea...I spoil my child with too many hugs and kisses, holding them, co sleeping, etc. (mine are older and do not co sleep anymore, but still).
    Alot of ap children do great.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No. If anything, my son is too independant...he's got no fear and really believes he can do anything. I also used attachementt parenting with my daughter, who is now 16. She's a phenomenal girl who knows her own mind, will respectfully disagree with me and makes fantastic decisions. Needless to say it work out well for us.
    Angelfey

Answer by Angelfey at 1:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree with Veronica. Every child is different depending on the personality of that child.
    And ap parenting does not mean "having a child stuck to you all the time"
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• "Well if the child is attached to its parents all the time and is never left alone it doesn't learn independence."

That hasn't been the case with my kids at all... they are the most out going and friendly kids in the community. No clingy, shy kids here!! Mine are 10, almost 6, and almost 4

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think attachment parenting does the absolute opposite. Instead of forcing a scared child to become independant when they are not ready, attachment parenting allows the child to gain the confidence without fear. One quick example...DD4 slept in our bed until she was 2, and then one day decided her bed would be better and she has never looked back. In 2 years she has never woken in the night or called for us because she was scared.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Not at all...children need to feel secure in the world in order to be truly independent - it only makes sense that they need that secure foundation. And attachment parenting isn't just about strapping your baby to you no matter what... a big part of it is being responsive to the needs of your child. Sometimes that means giving them space and freedom to explore freely and figure out things on their own. It just means never FORCING your child to figure out things on their own; if they need you, you comfort them.

My children have all been AP'd and they are amazingly independent. And sweet, courteous, affectionate, and cooperative. :) AP may not be the only parenting "style" to encourage children to be their best selves, but it certainly doesnt' stunt them in any way. AP teaches them the things I want them to learn about themselves and the world; it is what feels right to us and we find that it works exactly the way we hoped.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I'm not one for following any particular style of parenting. You couldn't place me in one particular catagory, I tend to pick and choose. But from the parents I have known that have used forms of attachment parenting it is actually the opposite. The kids feel so nurtured that they are more secure and therefor willing to take more risks. It does tend to happen a little later maybe, but not significantly.

Actually many of the components of attachment parenting are very old practices, it is the other styles that are more recient and more western, foster independance whether the kid is ready or not, style
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2009