what are illinois laws for grandparents?

My son and his girlfriend have given their baby up for adoption. I want to know what my rights are as far as whether I will ever be able to see her again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Adoption

• Can't you talk to your son about this???
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Truthfully, I don't believe you will have any rights to see the baby.
    Is the adoption open? Will you son ask for you to be able to see the baby? If the adoptive parents want an open adoption, they will probably want to include you in it.
    We send enough pictures to our daughters bmom so she can share with her mom and bdad can share with his family. We also have offered for all the grandparents to visit.
    luckyshamrock

Answer by luckyshamrock at 4:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• unfortunately you have no legal rights. Nor do your son or his girlfriend, you are all legal strangers to the child. I'm so sorry for your loss. The only chance you have is if the adoptive parents are willing to be open with you. You could write to them and ask the agency that handled the adoption to forward it to them. If you do write to them don't be too emotional or they might think you're unstable and/or want to take their child from them. Be really careful. If they say no you can still write to your grandchild at the agency in hopes that when he/she is 18 he/she will contact the agency for info. At that time also you can ask the agency to send a letter directly to him/her. Good luck.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• As the other have stated, you technically dont have legal rights but grandparents dont have legal rights to visit grandchildren in any situation adoption or not.

I highly recommend that if there is an open adoption, for you to reach out. A grandparent has a very non-threatening role and lots of aparents will embrace you, sometimes even more that the birthparents, especially if you are closer in age.

My advice is to learn about adoption though, get comfortable with the terms that are used, what open adoption means, etc. Adoption today is a lot different than the past and you will want to try to let go of some of the preconceived notions. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I agree with previous posters - why don't you try to find out whether they are pursuing an open adoption? It is the "norm" these days. We absolutely love our daughter's birthmother's mom ("Grandma L."). We wish we had contact with the rest of our son's birthmother's family. Like everyone said, you probably don't have any legal standing. There is a good chance, though, that you will be able to have some contact if there is an open adoption.

Have they chosen the adoptive couple yet? Maybe they haven't even thought about the idea of openness. It may do some good to bring it up in a non-threatening way. Good luck!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• in Illinois once the parent sign away the rights you are no longer the grandparent and have no legal standing. If you want this child or want to have a legal standing you must file an interested person petition before they sign away the rights.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 1:21 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• why would they not give the child to you. My family would fight to keep the child with in the family. I have aunts and uncles who have adopted children within the family. I am sorry for you loss.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2009