Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh great, WHT do i do now

I am the secretary for a small company, and my boss is in the hospital with pancreatitis. He is in very bad condition and in ICU. ANyways we got a letter from the irs saying that our annual FUTA report, something was wrong . So i called to see what is going on. I personally do the reports and can't imagine what i did. Anyways the lady tole me that they could not talk to me because i wan't an officer of the company. I said i know i am no but i am the secretary and the only officer is my boss who is in the hospital right now. She said she could not help me. I kept trying to assure her that i was not trying to get any information about the comapny that i already know everything i am just trying to find out what is wrong with the report. I am the one who does them. But i got no where. So what do i do now? They are saying my boss could be in the hospital for quite a while. Damn the IRS.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • Since your boss is incapacitated, would the IRS accept his "next of kin" to transfer business matters to you, and make you the "acting CEO/CFO?" Or, would the IRS, speak to your boss's next of kin directly, and forward the info along to you? Perhaps you could arrange a conference call between the IRS, the next of kin and you? Ask to speak to the supervisor of whomever it is that called you. Keep going up the chain of command until you receive a satisfactory response.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 2:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • I like the above advice. If that doesn't work. Tell them that you are officially notifying them of your bosses medical condition and requesting an extension. Tell them to send everything to your boss in writing and that he or his representative will contact them when his medical condition improves. Ask for an address to send it to them in writing and have them sign for the letter so you get a receipt for the files. it may not solve the problem, but it should avoid any penalties.


    Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • On company letterhead, compose a letter stating that you boss gives the IRS permission to speak to you regarding the issue. Need to have your boss sign it. When you call IRS, get fax # and send them the letter. Is it possible your bosses wife is listed as a company officer. I work for a small company and my bosses wife is listed even though she doesn't work here. Hope this helps

    Answer by chuggerboysmom at 4:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • Contact the account who does the tax work for the company. She or he is likely licensed to work with the IRS and can clear this up for you.

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.