• In the Spotlight:

I'm not really understanding this.. NO BASHING.

Okay, this is an honest question, and if offends I'm not meaning it to be.

You know how the Christian faith or those faiths that believe in heaven and hell right? Well what I don't understand is, how people say that "God" is all forgiving, YET there is a hell.. If "God" is all forgiving won't he forgive all your sins? Even if you've been a bad person, shouldn't he forgive you of your sins so you can walk amoungst angels and live in the Kingdom of heaven?

I'm not understanding what people mean by "God" being all forgiving, yet there is a place that condems you to be unhappy for eternity.

Can someone shed some light on this for me? Please don't tell me to read passages from the bible. A simple opionion is all I need. =)

DesignerMom0801

Asked by DesignerMom0801 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe that Hell is eternal death, rather then eternal pain and suffering. My reasoning is that the whole theme through the whole Bible is that God is Love. No matter how bad your child might behave you would never want them to burn and suffer or be torturedbecause you love them so much. Because the "God is Love" theme is consistant through the whole bible, I think the common learning of hell is miss-interpreted.
    Anonymous

• I get what your saying, it makes no sense sometimes, like if you kill someone, but you ask God to forgive you, does that mean your not going to hell? It's all too confusing,
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• IMO: why would you want to spend eternity with someone who doesn't love you? why would God want to have all these people, that while on earth didn't believe in Him, or love Him, or accept a simple gift? He IS all forgiving, but you have to accept that forgiveness before He can forgive you.
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 2:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• God forgives you if you believe in him ,and have Jesus in your hearts. How is he to forgive your sins if you choose to follow faiths that aren't his?
    God made hell for satan and his followers,it was never meant for us. satan knowing this is dragging all he can with him. God leaves it up to us on whether we want to go to hell or not,by our actions and choices in beliefs.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Anyone who says that God doesn't love you simply doesn't know God.
    If you truly believe he doesn't love you then you are being mislead by the devil. Anyone can learn the truth if they truly want to. Anyone can truly find God if they sincerely want to find him. Praise Jesus!!
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Because humans project HUMAN emotions on God and the reality gets blurred in the process. You cannot truly condemn or punish anyone for eternity and be perfect at the same time. God IS perfect and loving which ultimately means NO 'hell.' God has no qualification that we must do here on earth in order to be accepted. Saying " all you have to do is ....." is not logical and is also not forgiving in nature.

The whole concept of 'hell' is a huge contradiction if you understand the real perfect non-human God.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 2:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I thought the sacrifice of Jesus was enough to cover all the sins of all people, even retroactively and for all time. Accepting that might be important, but if I say in innocent ignorance, "I just don't believe in God" or "I feel so close to God in the religion of my birth", seriously, God can't get over that? The picture painted is NOT of an all-forgiving, all-loving, all-wise, all-powerful god. Either he is being horribly misrepresented, or he's not the ultimate Divine.

And the only response to THAT is "Well, if you had Jesus in your heart it would make sense!" and my response to that is, I think this sort of thing makes Jesus weep. I have read His teachings extensively and have spent years studying them, and I find a beauty there that is completely missed by Christianity. I'm a Jesus loving non Christian, and since eternal torment doesn't make any sense in my theology, I leave it to Christians.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• God does have emotions. He is loving and tells us himself he is jealous, he also gets angry.
    His emotions do make him perfect in my eyes. There is a hell. If you would like to believe there isn't that is your mistake.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Absolutely, Hannahwill!

GOD IS absolutely all-loving. He cannot and will not ever send you to any such place. The only "hell" that exists is the one that we may "create" while living on this planet in this physical body. The only other "hell" is the one your body may come in contact with if you opt for creation upon your death. Your SOUL or SPIRIT, or the true essence of who you really are, will always and forever be ALIVE. In actuality, the only thing that you "must" do in order to be in God's "good graces" is to simply BE.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 2:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• ** I meant CREMATION, not creation upon your death... sorry. LOL
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 2:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009