Why???

One of the huge reasons I am turned off Christianity is that most "Christians" seem to consider themselves better than everyone else. I attended a Baptist church when I was a teen and there would be whole sermons on why other denominations where not right. IMO if you really believe you have the truth, you would teach that truth, because the truth would be enough for you. I feel sorry for Mormons for example and the JW's. They are some of the nicest people and I have never heard them put down any other denominations, yet some denominations feel they need to repeatedly say they are not Christian. Who are they to judge?? I do believe God exists and IMO he would want everyone to accept each other and lift each other up, not put each other down. Aren't we supossed to treat others as we want to be treated? Would you want someone to preach about how you are not Christian? If not, then why do you do it???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Letting the shortcoming of people that are sinners as yourself dictate what you believe is silly. It shouldn't matter. God and his son Jesus should be your only concern about learning the truth. If you judge them by man then you will too be judged by the same measure.

I would never allow someone to ruin my love for God. EVER.

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• It's like you said --- when people grow up in a church in which whole sermons are devoted to how wrong other people are.... it becomes the truth to so many.

I attended a FUNERAL at a Luterhan church once.... and the whole service was a sermon about how good deeds don't get you into heaven and anyone who tells you so is working for the devil & lying to you and how you have to come to Jesus, etc, etc, etc. The funeral had NOTHING to do with the deceased person!!! It was the most ridiculous & disrespectful thing I'd ever sat through (up to that point).

And as for the Mormons & JWs... I've heard of MANY accounts of them telling people they were going to hell because they were of another faith. You should've seen the ones that were on my porch when I agreed to learn about their scripture if they'd agree to learn about Buddhism as well. You'd have thought I sprouted horns & a pointy tail right there in front of them.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Its about living the religion vs. the relationship. Some people just have the wrong focus -they're so caught up in doctrine and dogma that they become the focus and they forget the love, forget WHY we do these things, and for Whom!!!
    Don't let other people negatively influence you in your walk with Him, and don't let them make you forget that its about the GOOD new, the LOVE - its not about this hate and hypocrisy, its about the love He has for you and all mankind.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I have family in Utah and some are Mormons. There are people out there that are small minded in every faith, not just certain ones. I went to school in UT as a little girl I was the only one who was not Mormon and it was like I was being shunned and some of the girls would tell me I'm going to hell and they would pick on me. We moved to KS and there was a very small Mormon community and people were so mean to them. I reached out to some of the girls because I knew what it felt like and I tried to tell people, no they don't marry at 13, no they don't have to get married. Read a book people! Some people are comfortable in their small-minded thoughts. They don't think to educate themselves about other people. At my first base I worked with a Muslim guy and I asked him about his faith and about Mecca and he seemed happy that someone actually cared to ask w/o being close minded.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 2:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Laura1229:And as for the Mormons & JWs... I've heard of MANY accounts of them telling people they were going to hell because they were of another faith.
    well I take it it was the Mormons who said you were going to Hell since we as JW's don't believe in an eternally tormenting Hell, it wasn't part of the teaching of the OT or the NT but a mistranslation and the addition from Paganism. and yes, I can show this is true from many Bible and non-Bible reference books.....Here's one.The idea of a “hell” of fiery torment, however, dates back long before Dante or Milton. The Grolier Universal Encyclopedia (1971, Vol. 9, p. 205) under “Hell” says: “Hindus and Buddhists regard hell as a place of spiritual cleansing and final restoration.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I've been told that I'm going to Hell and that I'm not really a Christian b/c of some of my "non-traditional" beliefs, and it makes me very upset. I think part of the problem doesn't come from the religion itself, or even from the bible. It's about what they're being taught in their churches. Their pastor may say "spaghetti-o's are evil!" or "the earth is flat!" or something like that, and then spew out a few bible verses that supposedly prove it, and all of a sudden everyone in that church thinks that everyone who eats spaghetti-o's is damned.
    The fact is (as I KEEP saying) - the basis of the religion is the ACCEPTANCE OF JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR LORD AND SAVIOR - NOT weather you believe in heaven or hell, NOT which version of the bible you read (or if you add books to the bible to enhance your relationship with Christ), and certainly NOT because of small doctrinal differenced that DON'T MATTER ANYWAY!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I don't, and never have, believed it right for ANY church/religion to say someone of a different faith is going to hell. That is one of the worst things someone can say. I have heard this about Baptists before, that they think they are the only true religion. I could be wrong, but that is what I have heard. The church I grew up in preached acceptance for everyone, no matter what the religion, and now, the sexual orientation. (apparently this church is now known as the gay and lesbian church) Though there are more straight families, but whatever. Everyone is accepted there. Anywho, those that say only God judges, tend to be the most judgmental people, IMHO.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• well churches are not perfect because they are made up of imperfect people.... that is it. We are not perfect and never will be. We all make mistakes and it is only by the blood of the lamb that we are made clean and whole. I have been hurt numerous times by "churches" but i know that my God is perfect and His love is perfect. I strive to do what I can to build the kingdom of God, and pray that I am not one of those imperfect people that have scared others away, but I am not perfect and never will be. God bless....
    Anonymous

• Try a Refom synagogue near you: http://data.urj.org/conglist/

Answer by rkoloms at 7:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2009