What are good things to cook with a childs help?

Would like to cook more things with our 2 year old cause she loves to be in the kichen when i am cooking. But i don't have the budget anymore to make things i once did with her. Any suggestions?

prestepmom8

Asked by prestepmom8 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Pizza buy generic cheese and sause, let him help you put everything on
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I used to make cookie dough with my son. He is 7 and sometimes we still do.
    gingercakegirl

Answer by gingercakegirl at 2:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• This might not be what your thinking but I make brownies with them. I let them help crack eggs and stir batter. Hey they are 2 -4 YO. so it works for now.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 2:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Puppy chow!!!! or chex mix you can use all generic ingrediants for that and it healty trail mix is another cheap easy and healty one have fun!
    knepppi

Answer by knepppi at 2:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• all 3 above are what I do with my 2yr old & also the cakes. if I'm making a salad I let him mix it all up and put everything in the bowl. spagettii he breaks some noodles up... anything I cook I find some little task for him to help with. whether its 'helping' do the can opener & dumping veggies in a pot or washing potatos etc...
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 2:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• you can make frosting with few ingredients and make cookies, cheap cheese cake mixes, most kids will help make whatever you have they are not picky and she can help with a lot of things other than touching hot pots and pans .
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Well my two year old loves to help make sugar cookies. We use the cookie cutter to make shapes with the dough. When they cool we color the frosting or will put sprinkles on them. I tell her we are making them for daddy. When he gets home he acts so surprised and she gets so proud of her self.

We also make pizza together we eat this once a week. Although we make the dough from scratch it’s so fun. She loves to put the sauce and toppings on.
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 3:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Kids cookbooks are very fun; your child can pick out what to make. Visit your local library, so you can try before you buy (or just borrow). My favorite is the Moosewood one, I think that it is called Pretend Soup.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Rice Krispy treats
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• kraft.com has a section for cooking with kids and so does www.foodnetwork.com and rachaelray.com Go to the library and checkout cookbooks for kids. You could do ham rollups. Spread softened cream cheese on a tortilla, lay down a slice of him and sliced pickles (lengthwise) and roll up, cut into circles with a knife. I made chocolate covered bananas with 2 1/2 yr old and they had a messy blast. Oh, try www.familyfun.com

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2009