Night time potty training..

Any suggestions on how to get my DD potty trained at night? She will be 3 in September, or do you think she is still little to be potty trained at night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Another trick to try is to keep a little potty in her room - that way it's right there for middle of the night use so she doesn't have to walk down a scary dark hall - or worse get side tracked and start exploring the rest of the house in the middle of the night.

But remember that many kids wet until age 6, some even later. She can NOT control what her body does while she is sound asleep. Work on naps first, then night time. If putting her in panties doesn't work (she's still wetting nearly every night after a week or so) then go back to pull ups and try again in a couple months. Always phrase it as "Let's see if your insides are ready to go all nap (or all night) with panties". Never attach it to how grown up SHE is since it has nothing to do with age or abiltiy, only with what her body can do while she is not in control of it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No, she can do it. Start with naps, take her potty before nap, let her wear undies, and take her as soon as she gets up. If she wears a diaper to bed, take her potty before bed, and also as soon as she gets up. Start putting her in underwear for bed too when you notice she's dry over night. Make a HUGE deal out of it when she potties in the morning, especially if she's dry. My son is completely potty trained overnight, and he will be 3 in August :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't try until she's dry in the AM at least 3 days in a row, because as others have said it's something they really have to be developmentally ready for.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I'm going to start this with my daughter, who is 2 1/2. I'm moving the potty into her room once we switch her to the big girl bed. In combination with trying to re-inforce going to the bathroom when she goes to bed and wakes up, try to restrict any liquids a few hours prior to bedtime (or give her water...if she's anything like my daughter, she won't drink a ton of it like with juice or milk.)
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 4:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2009