How long can you leave your baby in the activity center?

My son is 6.5 months old now and he just started going in his activity center. How long is it allowed to sit in one? He doesn't always put his feet on the bottom so I don't know if its bad when he hangs in it. So far I let him sit in half hour intervals, usually only 2x a day. But its hard to clean if he is in his crib...he doesn't like to be left alone for too long.

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I guess just judge by how he acts. I had to put my son in it to shower but he didn't ever really like being in it. I was lucky if 10 minutes peacefully happened.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• He'll let you know for sure when he's ready to come out.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 2:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I don't have an "activity center" but for walkers they say only 30 minutes a day because it doesn't help their muscle development at all.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• You are reading to much into this if you ask me.. he will let ya know, plus trade him out, boncey seat, center floor, swing.. make it fun while you clean..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• It's not going to hurt him, but it limits him learning other activities if it is for too long.. and they can get bored. So what you are doing seems fine.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I'd say 15 minutes, 30 tops but not every time. Long enough for you to get the dishwasher loaded and the laundry switched, that kind of thing. Make sure he gets lots of floor time... it's more important developmentally.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Thirty (30) minutes is the longest you should leave him in it at a time, but if he fussed sooner, I'd probably move him to a swing, etc., if I was trying to clean. It's always OK to be concerned if you are doing what's right by your child. Good question! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• When he wants out, take him out. If you need help getting things done, get a sling. He can be with you while you do what you need and everyone's happy.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If he's hanging without his feet touching the floor, it does put some pressure on the spine (similar to the bjorn-style baby carriers), so I wouldn't let a child that age spend more than a half an hour a day. Try a sling or Mei Tai baby carrier to carry him around the house with you, or get a "tummy time" mat, it's better for their development. A bumbo seat, a boppy pillow or similar can help them sit up on the floor to play with toys.

When he cries, pick him up or take him out.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 5:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• yea...i couldn't clean with him in a sling...he is super heavy...i'd be hurting after a while. lol.
    I do have a tummy time mat..thank you for all of your answers.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009