smoking and breastfeeding?

I know you shouldnt smoke when you are pregnant, but what are the effects on a breastfeeding baby if the mom smokes? Is it worse than smoking while pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Health

• Not only is the baby breathing in the smoke, but even if you don't smoke around your baby, it still gets some of the stuff from the cigarrettes, it's in your body and passes through the breastmilk
    Anonymous

• Yeah but I thought I read somewhere that breastfeeding and smoking is better (nutrition wise) than smoking and formula feeding. Thats a pretty big statement! You should ask your doctor.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• smoke will still be on your clothes and the chemicals could harm the baby. so if you want to smoke, make sure you change your clothes, or wear a robe over them, wash your hands, use mouthwash, or just wait till to smoke when the baby is asleep. the nicotine will pass through the milk, so like with alcohol, it's best to nurse first before you smoke, and wait 2-3 hours before nursing again, so it can pass through the milk. but if you nurse right after a smoke, it's still better than formula imo (sorry didnt mean to sound like a basher! I promise! I FF my baby and nursed...). I started smoking again when my baby was 3 months old. he wasnt gaining a lot of weight around that time and I think the nicotine reduced the fat in my milk. the ped. was concerned he wasnt gaining good weight so I had to add formula to the diet and I continued nursing as well. I think if I didnt start up again this never would have happened!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No no no no. I know it's hard, and I quit when I found out I was pregnant, but no no. It's another thing you have to give up for your kid. If it's too hard, then switch to formula.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 2:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yeah...let's do what's "best" for baby by breast feeding but then go smoke cigarettes (or something else in some cases), let's go drink alcohol, let's take medications, etc...and think that's all better than formula feeding. Sure...all those extra chemicals and toxins in your body are doing great things for the baby.

Yep. Sounds "best" to me.
    Anonymous

• I don't understand people who ask questions like this....just don't smoke. You shouldn't be looking for the next best solution..you shouldn't be giving your child the best.
    Anonymous