How can I get a breastfed baby to take a bottle?

I have tried all of the conventional methods I have read about and my four month old still won't do it. Any ideas?

WineMom411

Asked by WineMom411 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try the evenflow bottles the ones that are really fat and theres only a small tip for the nipple. thats the one my baby took.
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 2:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I never had that problem, I used the playtex nursers when I left baby with a sitter. Maybe she just isn't ready, or if you are putting formula in them she may just hate formula?
    Anonymous

• Ideally, you shouldn't. Get dad or another family member to do it. If you've been BFing baby knows your scent and will expect you nurse. So bottle should be introduced by someone else.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If you are just now trying its nearly impossible. Your baby is used to the real deal and won't learn to suck from a bottle. At around 5-6 months I recommend letting her play with a sippy cup and then after a couple weeks put breastmilk in it. She will only take a little at first but eventually she will take more.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• avent bottles. they are expensive. also there is a new bottle on the wal~mart website. the nipple is half the bottle. it looks like the breast, squishes like so and id be willing to bet it feels like it too. but again those are expensive. here are the boob bottles...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10716208

HTH!!!!!!!!!!
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009