how do i make sure my boys have a healthy respect for women as they get older?

i have a 10 and 4 year old. i want to make sure that by the time they are in junior high and high school they know how to respect women and not see them as sexual objects. my husband is very respectful and never makes degrading comments about women or comments that might objectify them. we are an affectionate family. we hug and peck and tell each other how much we love each other (nothing sexual between my husband and i). i make sure that my boys know that when ANYONE says stop, it means stop (even when they are playing amongst each other and other children). so any ideas on how to make sure that they learn to treat women with respect and as their equal?

nairda

Asked by nairda at 2:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Actions speak louder than words. Your husband is their first role model and it sounds like he's already leading by example. When they start dating I would just talk to them about the pressures of being a teenage girl. It's hard and boys don't make it any easier.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 2:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Just keep doing what you are doing. It will all work out in the end.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yeah it sounds like you're doing it right already. I wish more moms and fathers would do these things! Mom's take a hint from her!!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• You are doing what you should be doing. Also, there is nothing wrong with your boys seeing you and your husband being affectionate to each other. You can hold hands, kiss and hug. My SO tends to grab my butt, tell me how beautiful I am ,etc. My son goes from thinking it is cute to the grossest thing in the world, he is almost 13.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• gentalmen things to do
    - Hold the door
    - Offer your seat
    - Offer your jacket
    - Watch your language
    - Walk her home
    - Let her sit down first
    - Walk outside on the sidewalk

etiquett rules for children
    How to Dine
    Telephone Manners
    On Correspondence
    Be Gracious
    Shoes Are Important
    Be Open to New Foods
    Ask Questions
    Be Friendly

HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009