Im concerned about the effect of a second child on my 4 year old

My daughter just turned 4, he father and i are not together and he is having another child. my main concern is my child's welfare and the impact that this will have on her. when i expressed my concerns, her father told me he was confident that there would be no effect on her. i know she is bound to be affected by this second child, how have other moms handled this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think a second child has a positive effect on the first. It teaches her to share, love, and care about someone other than herself. Also it will depend on how he and YOU act when they are together. You may not be so happy about him having another child but you can't let your child see that. She needs to see nothing but love.
    Anonymous

• ok heres the low down mama.. im giving it strait so take it as u will.. THIS will change her... My boy was four when i had number2.. they will tell she wont but she will fight for attn. there will be some big elephant in the room with her.. he will have a hard time with this.. you need to resure her that the baby isnt takn her place, he needs to not get mad or upset when she is.. this is hard for an only child i see it everyday..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• there will be normal struggles for attention. But her having a siblilng will also have very postitive effects if handled right. I would stop concerning your self with how it will effect her, because the baby is comming. Instead help get her ready for it. Let her pick out a baby doll and help get her excited to meet her new brother or sister. And as long as the father is attentive and still dotes on her as well, there isnothing to worry about.
    Anonymous