Online courses exclusively or campus classes?

I don't know which one to do. The lady said their online courses are just as good as the campus classes, which is better as far as the learning experience is concerned?

yasabree

Asked by yasabree at 5:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Money & Work

• I loved the online class I took in British Lit. It was so convenient yet it included discussion, writing, one on one with the professor, just like an in person class. I would do every class that way exept maybe a math class since I may need some help with that in person. I think even in that case, I could get tutoring to supplement the online help. You also can hook up with other students from the class.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 5:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• It depends on you really. Some people don't do well learning on their own in the online environment and need that one on one with a teacher or students they know that they can talk to. I am getting my degree with online courses now because I don't have the time to sit in traditional classes. The thing to be cautious with online courses, make sure it is structured with deadlines and due dates because if it is all at your own pace, it is harder to do. I am going through DeVry, they are a bit more expensive, but i have found the classes to be excellent.
    ajrobbins

Answer by ajrobbins at 5:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Online classes are great and hard! It's great going on your own, but be prepared! They usually require much more hard work and commitment! They usually require that you must participate in discussions, do this, do that. If it's your first time, don't take more than 1 or two. Some campuses actually won't let you the first time, and for good reason. I did take a whole full semester of online classes once, and it was a lot of hard work! But sometimes, it's a better schedule for you! Don't be discouraged, I obviously like something about them because I keep taking them. If you aren't self-disciplined, you better learn to be quick! Hope it helps!
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 5:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I wanted to add, you usually don't have to do one or the other, you can mix it up and do both!
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 5:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Interesting question because I want to do this also.
    calliemist

Answer by calliemist at 6:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I think it really depends on your personality. For me I definitely preferred the online classes. One advantage was that I could do my work late at night or early in the morning with no distractions. One of my pet peeves with in person classes was when students would ask questions about something that was said 5 minutes ago. I just really didn't have the patience for my time to be consumed by others who didn't pay attention. I know that sounds terrible but I wasn't really interested in hearing other peoples questions and stories. But, other people I know said they need the person-to-person interaction. So, again, it depends on your personality. Good luck.
    bizlady

Answer by bizlady at 9:02 AM on Jun. 22, 2008