do your children need to wear a helmet in a bike trailer?

I recently just purchased a bike trailer for both of my kiddos and when they wear there helmets they are not happy campers, my daughters head tilts forward because the back of the helmet is up against the back of the seat etc. some people say I am paranoid and they don't need them some think they do..what do you think? is it a law for them to wear them in the trailer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would think so. Better too safe than sorry.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 2:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Law? I don't know. But if I am able to get one this summer, they are going to wear helmets in it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Depends on where you're riding. If you're crossing streets and things like that.... maybe. If you're riding in the country or on bike trails..... I wouldn't.

I live in the country & have never worn a bike helmet --- neither have my kids.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Call your police department and find out what the helmet laws are in your city. I would think they still need helmets in the trailer too. I would err on the side of caution. It isn't about what area you live in, it is about the damage that can be done to your child's head from falling or getting hit by a car. My son was riding down our street, going slow and fell and hit his head and ended up with a concussion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yes - it's on wheels. Even trailers can tip over...plus all the trailers I've seen indicate that helmets should be worn still - it's not a hard body so it's makes the kids vulnerable. Kids would do better to know that any type of "bike" riding, even in the trailer, means safety first - which means helmets on. I got a trailer for my son and he loves it - we're looking forward to more summer trips this year now that I won't have a hill to climb...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Well are you sure they are proper fitting. If they are lose or don't fit perfectly then they are no good anyway.
    Anonymous

• We are looking into trailers for our boys and we went to a bike shop and the showed us a Chariot Trailer and they told us that they didn't need to wear helmets b/c of the 5 or 6 point harness I can't remember which one it was. It was also very well built and sturdy. Some are also made so they can't tip over and if they do the don't keep rolling. I would look up some stuff about it just to be safe. Try putting a small cusion behind them where there back is and see if that helps with the helmet. Hope this helps!
    Ash_MacLachlan

Answer by Ash_MacLachlan at 2:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2009