? for moms with a child that has aspergers or sensory processing disorder

My son will be 8 in 4 weeks. I have always had a slight suspicion that something was not "normal" with him but always put it aside because it really didn't effect his day to day functioning. I also thought he would out grow some things and I was probably just being overly worrysome. He walks on his toes, alot. If he isn't in shoes, he is on his toes. He is very sensitive about things, especially things being done "right" or by the rules. He takes things very literal. He finds things like writing projects as school difficult, although he is extreamly advanced in things like math, reading, science. He throws a fit when it comes time to cut his finger or toe nails. He will jerk away, cry, hold his breath. He also gets like this about washing his hair. I had to clean out his belly button and had to hold him down he was screaming and crying so hard. I don't know what the problem is. ...con't....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Two of my sons have SPD and some of what you describe is them. However, it cannot be diagnosed online.

You really need to have him evaluated by an OT for the SPD and a developmental pediatrician for the possible Asperger's.

I highly recommend the book "The Out of Sync Child"
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• He refused to try to ride a bike, learn to swim. Anything that he can possibly analyze and see a way of getting hurt or something, he refuses to try. I have never seen a 8 year old boy scared to death to ride a bike. And i mean scared to death. We got him on with his training wheels and when we started pushing him he freaked out so bad he threw himself off and stared crying. What is going on? Does any of this sound like any of the above disorders? I am going to make an appointment with my ped. because it dosen't seem to be something he is growing out of, but something that seems to be interferring more as he gets older.
    Anonymous

• Your son sounds like mine. My son, Connor is aspergers as well. Routine is very crucial. However even that gets old for us moms that don't rely on such strict routines. I broke my son of the horrible habits of rocking, hitting himself in the head when things didn't go his way and if plans changed during the day he would scream and cry. Redirect him.

If our plan was to go to the park but unfortunately there isn't the time for it or I got tired then I would redirect with taking my son to McDonald's for an ice cream.

Texture is a big deal when it comes to food. My son is still hooked on mashed potatoes and chicken. But we vary it now, chicken soup, boiled potatoes, add different seasonings, anything to get something new in the mix.

Try Thomas the Train. Something about autistic boys and trains. It teaches the fundamentals of proper behavior and my son still loves it.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• OP here- my son hits himself as well. He dosen't do it when he is angry or frustrated though, he will just do it out of the blue smiling or laughing like he's just playing and say "ow" over and over. I'll tell him to stop it, and he will. I hate it but I get angry with him because I guess somewhere inside me is hoping it's just him doing it, and not some real disorder making him do it. Then I feel terrible with myself for getting upset at him because I know deep down that it's probably something he can't control. This is so frustrating.
    Anonymous

• My son is 9 and has aspergers. He is a stickler for rules, hates certain fabrics, obsessed about video games and anything animal related, very sensitve at times to were it may be overly. He has extreme highs and lows. He likes to talk about only things he likes and nothing anyone else cares about. He literal thinker and also has a hard time with his writing skills but very good in math. He will not try anything that he thinks he knows he will fail at and that includes swimming, bike riding and most everything lol. We just know that its part of his disorder and yes it gets frustraiting but we handle it ok. good luck and check out the autism/aspergers group :)
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 3:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My DD has PDD (autism) she also has sensory issues..What you describe above does not sound like sensory issues to me. My daughter would not take any help when learning to ride her bike. She is now 5...nothing above sounds like her to me...Except every now and then she will tipie toe walk.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Thanks everyone. I am making an appt. asap for his pediatrician to see what he recommends. I hate putting labels on someone, but I want to get him the best help and therapy he will need if he needs it. Thanks for the book recommendation!
    Anonymous