My 2 year old is a very healthy eater. Any suggestions for her b-day party?

I'm thinking a Tabbouleh and Feta Sandwhiches would be wonderful, but my parents are insisting that normal people do not eat that stuff and I need to go with hot dogs. The problem is DD has not been introduced to hot dogs yet and she HATES sweets.

So, can you ladies please give me some ideas for healthy picnic type foods for her party? Thanks!!!!

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• When my daughter was small, we always had her favorite foods at her parties (your parents get to have their favorite foods at their parties). Hummus and carrot sticks; quesadillas (cheese and beans on whole wheat tortillas), with a side of mild salsa for dipping; pizza (made by my mom, plain cheese for the picky eaters and veggie for normal people).

Answer by rkoloms at 3:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• What is the theme? If its a Nick Jr. character go to the site and they have healthy snacks for some characters
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Fruits..... What ever is in season... Fresh fruit.... I'm not sure what kindof sandwhiches those are, but if your family eats healty, don't differ because of a party and some one saying you have to. You don't have to. I would stay away from hot dogs.
    Anonymous

• i would offer both. then she can eat healthy and give others the chance to try it. and if they dont like it, then there are hotdogs. i would also put out a fruit and veggie tray.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Why not have both 'regular' food and the middle eastern/armenian/persian food as well? So other that might not usually eat that can have a try if they want :) I think that's a great idea, I for one get sick of the same crap at family gatherings, I just want to bring Thai or sushi!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree with an ethnic food theme. Just make sure its not toooo abnormal because some kids are very picky. Even some adults don't like feta (I LOVE THE STUFF!!)
    Even if you have some deli meats, cheeses and veggies with small slices of bread the kids can have healthy sandwiches.
    Anonymous

• I agree with a couple of the previous posters, have a meat, cheese, veggie and fruit tray. Who cares what your parents say, she is your daughter and if you'd prefer not to introduce her to hotdogs then don't do it, unless you feel good about it don't be preasured in to it just because not everybody eats that way. Maybe their are all veggie hotdogs or something. Is it a BBQ? For the cake you could do fresh strawberries for strawberry shortcake.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Thanks Ladies. We are having the party at a local park; therefore it will be "picnic style". I like Sheri's idea of the veggie dogs (maybe they won't be such a chocking hazard as the others). I am going with the Tabbouleh sandwiches, Pumpkin Hummis, Marinated asparagus, broccoli salad, and cheese, fruit and veggie trays. It is her birthday so I think she deserves to have HER favorites.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2009