Could this be a solution to the gay marriage debate?

I believe we should adopt the system used in some European countries. Civil unions for all, in front of a judge or jp to receive govt recognition and benefits. Then if one chooses they can have a ceremony or blessing that aligns with their personal beliefs.

This way, everyone has the same rights and those who morally oppose it have nothing to beef about.

Friday

Asked by Friday at 2:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This is suggested often, and it is vocally opposed by both sides. Personally, I think they should've done it years ago, but for some it will never be good enough.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Sounds good to me :)
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Im for it
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I'm for it too.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I'm game. Anything to make this country a happy and FREE place for all Americans.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 3:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• NP, when has this been suggested? All I've heard is civil union for same sex but keep marriage for opposite sex. That I don't agree with. I'm talking about civil union for anyone who wants govt recognition/benefits.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No.
    I want a legal and binding marriage, so I can take everything he owns if he ever decides to stray and then make him pay for a very long time.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I've long said that sounds like a good compromise. Civil Unions to get the "we are an official couple" benefits. Marriages as an extra religious ceremony performed by the church of your choice.

Of course, lots of people on both sides will still be offended - Catholics who are homosexual still won't be able to get a church marriage after the civil union (same with many other religions, I just used Catolic as an example) and since some religions WILL do them, lots of heterosexuals will be offended about that. But a good compromise leaves everyone slightly happy and slightly unhappy.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think the problem is with people calling it marriage, religious people do not want to share something GOD created with something GOD is against. I dont think gays should be able to call it marriage, call it a union, they already call eachother life partners, so when they have their joining have the judge or whatever say "your now life partners" and they sign their papers and they have the same rights as straight married couples. Sounds great to me, I just don't want it to be called marriage because that messes up the whole religious aspect, especially for children who are being raised religiously, they would be confused. Anyways, I don't want any hate for this, I'm all for gays having rights, just call it something else, since it IS something else.
    Anonymous

• NP, when has this been suggested?

I see it come up just about any time the topic comes up, followed with a steady stream of posts just like Akin's and links to articles from both sides, half explaining why it's "separate but equal" and the other half explaining why it's "not fair"
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2009