Favorite all natural or organic foods.

My husband and I were never aware of the importance/difference of eating organic/natural foods. We decided to wait till we had almost nothing in our cabinets then we will go food shopping and buy mostly organic and some all natural foods. So we went to whole foods and just walked around and there is SO MUCH there. We have no idea what is what, what’s the best....

So here’s my question we have a 2 year old. What are some of the better quality or better tasting, meats, snacks, frozen foods, boxed or canned goods? We are new to this but want to do what’s best for our daughter and we don’t know where to start. PLEASE HELP. Thank you so much....

Oh I’m posting anon. because I have family on here that thinks this eating organic thing is stupid and I don’t want to hear it I just want honest advice. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Honestly there really is no difference, I don't eat organic fruits because they don't use anything to kill the bacteria and my cousin got Ecoli from organic tomatoes. I know it can happen to anyone and it's very rare but it scared me so I'm too scared to buy my kids organic fruits. I do buy kosher meat though, because so far the only kosher meat I've seen is made here in America. I'm so scared buying meat or any products that are made in other countries, well Canada is ok but anywhere else is scarry. But whole foods is a great store, just buy the cheapest, all their food is healthy and great for your body. Seriously though go for the cheapest of things, it's all the same. I love that store!
    Anonymous

• Congraulations on starting your family on the road to a longer and healthier life. Let's start with the basics: we need to eat 7 servings of whole grains every day. We need to eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables, in a rainbow of colors, every day. The word natural is meaningless; uranium is natural but we don't want to eat it. When you go to the grocery store, you should have a list; before you write your list, you write out your meal and snack plan for the week, and go through your coupons. There is produce you should always buy organic, and produce that never needs to be organic (for your family; the planet is a different story). Here is the produce guide from the environmental working group: http://www.foodnews.org/EWG-shoppers-guide-download-final.pdf. Feel free to contact me for more information on foods, recipes, cleaning, etc..
    Robin in Chicago rkoloms@yahoo.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• We shop at Whole Foods and Giant Eagle. Pretty much anything you buy natural or organic is better but doesn't make it healthier. The difference is what they put in it or not for that matter. I used to get PO when friends or family would make negative comments about us going organic but now I'm like, whatever. I just choose not to feed them all the growth hormones, pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, antibiotics and whatever else they use. I say if you can afford it do it! You don't have to justify your reasons why to anyone. Cont...

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I use oranges instead of orange juice. Bananas. I get eggs from cage free/vegetarian chickens. I try to get Kosher products because I feel they are better, nothing to do with religion. When my children were small and I was a SAHM, I had a large garden and grew and preserved most of our fruits and vegetables. But when I started working I couldn't keep up with it.

Answer by Bmat at 3:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I love Newman's Own Orgainc "Oreo" type cookies. Not sure of any other things

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• ~OP here~ Thank you so much for all the advice I appreciate it very much.
    Anonymous