My husband doesn't have kids of his own, will he get over having a baby because he is scared???

Okay my husband was not one for kids, until we met. Now my girls were older when I met him. My oldest was 3 and youngest was 1. So they had passed all that baby stuff. I have a bunch of friends with babies, and my niece was born not too long ago, and getting him to even hold her or another baby is like pulling teeth! He is totally scared. Has anyone had this happen and their husbands totally got over it??? I keep telling him that its different when its your own baby. But I think he is putting off having kids because of this. HELP!!!

navyma23

Asked by navyma23 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ask him why he is scared of babies--you might be surprised. My husband and I both totally wanted a child when we decided to have our first, but as my pregnancy progressed he got more and more scared about babies. It turned out that when he was 10 years old his baby sister had died and it traumatized him, and he had never mentioned it to anyone, even me. When our DD was born he had absolutely NO trouble holding her or anything else after the first time.
    Anonymous

• My husband did little to nothing for our son when he was an infant. By the age of 1ish he actually started doing more and now he's 2 and his father is highly involved. Not all guys like babies.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 3:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• my husband did the same as the prev poster. he would feed her, change clothes and an occasional diaper. but besides that he would get annoyed too quickly. as soon as she was able to start pointing out or saying what she wanted he started playing and helping her more b/c he was able to understand her. alot of guys are afriad of them b/c they don't understand babies and therefore feel that they don't know what to do w/them.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• mine wouldn't go near the children until they could walk and preferably talk!

Answer by admckenzie at 5:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Didn't you discuss this before you got married? What was that plan and why is it ok for him to not keep his word?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• He wants a kid of his own, but I think he is just scared to have one anytime soon.
    navyma23

Answer by navyma23 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009