How do I politely keep the door-to-door sales people from bothering me?

Springtime/summer in my subdivision means tis the season for the door-to-soor sales people to come knocking on my door. How do I politely get them to go away QUICKLY? I try to be polite, but they continue to try and convince me to allow them to atleast show me how well their product works. I hate it! They come sometimes in the afternoon and ring my door bell while my kids are sleeping. Mostly they come in the early evening when my dh has only been home for 10-15 minutes! He's worse at refusing them than me, and twice last year we had in home demonstrations that went on for almost an hour! I don't want anyone IN my house, and I don't even want to have a conversation with them at the door! It's very simple, I don't want anything sold to me door-to-door. It's inconvient to me, and also, for someone as paranoid as me, I just don't like having strangers at my front door with a full view of the inside of my home.

coffee_chick

Asked by coffee_chick at 3:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Try a "No Soliciting" sign
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Ditto on the sign. Tape it right to your door.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 3:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• That is what I would suggest...same as others!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• if you put up a no soliciting sign they can't not go to your door, even to put up flyers ( i used to pass out flyers to earn extra money and if we did this and someone called and complained we got fined by the company after too many infractions you got fired). just make sure the sign is visible on your garage, your front door, or a front window. dh is awful too, a few years ago i had these mormons at my door every day for two weeks b/c he said "ya ya'll can come back and we'll talk " b/c he didn't want to be rude and i was the one stuck answering the door w/him at work going sorry i'm not interested goodbye. if you don't want to put up a sign, put something that says do not ring bell baby asleep ( i do this anyways just in case a neighbor comes by, if you tape it over the doorbell they have to see it to hit the bell) and when you answer just politely tell them you understand they are doing their job but you aren't interested.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yeah a sign might do the trick.... but if you don't want to do that, tell them you are late for your appointment with the bankruptcy attorney, and if you miss the appointment the foreclosure on your house can''t be postponed long enough for you to get all your stuff out of the house. That should stop 'em in their tracks!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I have this sign above my bell (No soliciting didn't work - they either were religious and felt they weren't soliciting, or didn't know what soliciting meant):

I do not want to convert to your religion or buy your product. No, I can't tell you where that address is, my sense of direction sucks. No, we haven't seen your lost puppy/kitten/lizard, etc. We are not interested in donating to your fundraiser, campaign, or cause. No, you cannot change my mind. No, you cannot have just a minute of my time to try. No, I don't want your flyer/brochure/pamphlet just to fill my trash up even more. If, after reading this, you still somehow think this doesn't apply to you, feel free to ring the bell. But don't be surprised when I open it, see you're not a friend or relative and shut the door in your face.

Seems rude, but you'd laugh if you saw how many people read it and either laugh or stand there and think before walking away.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i agree with the strangers part. i had someone call me and say "what time are you going to be home so we can test your water?" so we said a time and the guy came, tested our water, tryed to sell us a water softener and left. we then got a call saying "are you going to be home now so he can stop by?" we said "he did already" that was creepy!!

we dont get too many but wouldnt it be funny if they knocked on your door, or rang your doorbell and you just didnt answer? kind of like my MIL ...everytime she heard the phone ring she HAD to answer it, i bet 70% of the day its toll free numbers, then she got herself into a bind. WHY does she HAVE to answer the phone? she's gotten better though
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I was going to suggest a sign as well. Also, I know you want to be "polite" about it...but that doesn't mean you don't have to be firm. It would make you rude to say "Get the F off my property and don't come back you piece of sh*t" but it doesn't make you rude to say (with a smile) "I'm not interested, but thanks anyways" and SHUT THE DOOR PROMPTLY (before they have the chance to suck you into their speech)! If they try to continue talking as you shut the door, just say "good day" and shut it.
    Sometimes when it comes to sales people who are making commission, there is no "easy" way to say NO. They know that....and they hope by being able to suck you into an hour long process, you'll feel too guilty saying no.
    PB_J

Answer by PB_J at 3:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Above your doorbell, tack : Baby Asleep. No sales people. Not interested in religious discussion.

Keep it short and sweet. The fewer words the better.

Answer by Bmat at 3:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• A friend of mine has a sign posted at his gate. It says:

Forget Beware of the Dogs. Beware of the Owner. And it has a shotgun image.

Answer by Bmat at 3:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2009