Am I the only one in this position? Any words of encouragment?

My ds is 10 months, 9 months adjusted. He just got accepted in to early intervention. He does not crawl, or pull to sit from laying down. he does not feed himself finger foods either or hold bottle/sippy. He scored very well in 3 of the 5 areas they evalauted him in. The other 2 he scored at a 7 or 8 month level. We never really did any tummy time when he was younger because he would cry. Maybe this hindered his development. Therapy started Monday and the therapist said that his shoulders and trunk seemed a bit week and it was probably due to prematurity and lack of time manuvering on the floor for many months. I just want him to be caught up and be able to get around. He does pivot in a circle now and has been rolling since 5 months so he does get places just not as he should. About the eating I just dont know whats preventing him from putting food in his mouth. Fine motor is great. Am I the only one out there??

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 3:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OH honey, I am not in your shoes but I can imagine since you are starting early intervention that he will find these skills and be just on the same track as others quickly. my son refused to hold his own bottle or sippy til he was 15 months - we cann him KING MAX - he "prefers" us to feed him too - if you have a cookie in your hand, he will lower his head to your hand before he attempts to grab it.. my son was very "late" in the feeding him self area and choked and still does quite often. these are skills though that will play catch up quickly... hang in there honey. hugs!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I don't know if you are the only one out there with this problem or not. My bets are on the NOT part. Every baby develops differently. You are doing the right thing by getting him put into a "rehab" type program, or whatever it is called, that is DEFINITELY the right track! If he has already started moving in circles, he should be crawling or at least pulling himself up in about a week or two. You are doing GREAT!! As for the food, I don't know if they help with that, but what I did is I just put food in my sons hand. Let him do what he wanted with it. Show him how YOU eat with your hands. Then guide his hand to his mouth with his food in hand. He will get the hang of it on his own. And think, you could be very lucky. You might have it easier getting him off the bottle. Or have it easier to be taking care of him when he's two or three. He won't be as rambunctious and running around you in circles screaming CONT....
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 3:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• CONT.... at the top of his lungs just because you turned the TV off, or because he wants ice cream ten mins before dinner. Look on the bright side of it all. It's going to be tough either way, but just be thankful that you have this boy at all, and that you can enjoy him as much as possible before he turns into a teen and wants nothing to do with home family life!!! =] I hope things look up for you soon momma, good luck and God bless. =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 3:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Don't worry, they will help tremendously. I knew a little girl that didn't walk or talk at 18 months and the minute they started EI, she was walking and talking for them. Her mom never really made her, so, when they did, she blossomed. Your son really isn't that far behind and he is getting help, so, he will be just like all the other babies soon.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• He's really not that far behind if he's scoring 7-8 month level. Therapy will help him catch up in no time. I have a set of twins (17 months, 15 adjusted) that have been in the EI program for about a year now. My DD was a little behind in areas, but with therapy she has surpassed her corrected age and is almost caught up to her peers.

She had trouble putting food in her mouth until I read a suggestion on here. Coat fruit chunks with ground up Cheerios to make them easy to hold on to. Just keep working with him and he will get it eventually.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Dont worry about it! Enjoy every stage he is in. My DD was 9 mo old when she walked. My cousins DS was 19 months old when he walked. They are now 10 years old and there is no difference in their development now.
    Anonymous

• ....And my DS can't sit, crawl, walk, feed himself, or hold his own bottle. He just learned to roll over but can only do it one way. He's just learning how to chew small pieces of soft noodles, but still gags. It is very difficult, but it makes me appretiate his accomplishments more. He has cerebral palsy. The biggest thing I learned from him is that if you keep working as a team with the therapists, there is no end to what new skills he can achieve. When your therapist starts, ask what things you can do at home every day to help and how to make it a part of your daily routine.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My son didn't sit himself up until around 10 mos and didn't crawl until 11 and a half mos. It's ok, all babies progress at different rates.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• 1-2 months delay isn't that severe! He'll catch up in no time! You caught it early, he's getting therapy, she'll work on strengthening his core and he'll take off! (baby proof NOW)

My youngest was diagnosed with a severe speech delay. At 23 months, he had the speech of a 9 month old. After one month of speech therapy, he said his first word! It's now been 6 months and his vocabulary is now age appropriate, but he's still a moderate delay in articulation! They catch on fast!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2009