do you help with cleaning rooms

do you help clean your children/childs rooms? i was just wondering. i dont know if its cuz they are overwhelmed do it all but my kids can never finish their rooms, they will start but 5 minutes later they dont want to do it no more. i mean their rooms are a mess. i know being a sahm and all the cleaning, shopping, and everything else will get over whelming and we would like help. is it the same for the kids to? when i go into helping my kids clean their room s i start to cry cuz it is such a mess. they have every little thing out and you cant see their floors.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would go through and establish an organization... how old are the kids?
    it helps for all of you to do it together that way they can see how to do it- get cheap plastic bins w/lids for toys. a garbage bag, and a basket for laundry. The first thing you do is make their beds and set the bins out on the beds. Then pile EVERYTHING in the middle of the floor.
    You hand them a toy (or clothes or whichever) and make them put it where it goes. (we have a bin for barbies, ponies, playfood, dollhouse furniture, etc.) Eventually you can just sit on the bed and direct, tell them to pick up such and such and put it where...

mine are 4 and 6- after doing this with them a few times I am now able to send them to their room to clean. eventually you will be able to tell them it's time to clean up and they will do it.

I have had that problem and called my mom crying- the above was her plan and it really did work for me.

LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No, I do not. My son is 13 and old enough to do it himself. If I have to clean his room, he will have nothing in there but his bed and dresser. He has been cleaning his room alone since he was 4 or 5 years old. My parents did the same thing with me. I know for a fact that kids as young as 2 can clean up their own messes. I taught preschool for 20 yrs and the kids all cleaned up their own messes. It wasn't always perfect, but they did it. Depending on your kids ages, they should be doing it themselves and are playing you because they know if they start crying you will clean their rooms for them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My son is 12, but has ADHD. It can take him hours to clean his room, as he gets distracted so easily. So we have to focus on one task at a time. The only thing I will not let him do is use the sweeper because he always clogs it up! But he has started doing his own laundry every night, which is a bonus.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Nope not unless I am going in with big black garbage bags and what I take out does not go back in. We have done this to our children They have so many hours/days to get it clean if its not done things that our out or messy get thrown away or stuck in the garage. if its clothes i just keep them in the garge for a month she would get them back after keeping her room clean and clothes off the floor for 30 days.

www.RamblingsOFaSAHM.com
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 3:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• my kids have their own rooms and they are always a mess a couple weeks ago I helped my boys ages 4 and 10 ( they do share a room but the girls have their own ) anyways I got the rake and literally raked their room. everything in the hall way and nothing went back in without my say so I threw away so many broken toys and junk and I had just helped clean it a couple months before that. The girls are old enough and iI just tell them that if they want to live in the mess then so be it
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 9:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2009