When you look for friends do you tend to only look within your race and economic class?

I tend to look only in my own economic class (not too much richer or poorer) and white or black women. I'd much rather look "outiside the box" though. I'd like to change that about myself.

What do you do?

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 3:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't look at people for what they are wearing, driving, or how manicured their fingers are, I could care less what economic class they're in, for me I have rich, middle class, and poor friends. I am not poor and I am not middle class either (between I guess you'd say). I have friends of various race, color and beliefs that differ from my own, and the rule of thumb is we don't shove our views onto the other because that's respectful, due to the various people I do know of various backgrounds, shapes and sizes my children have learned to not look at a book and judge by it's cover.

What do I do to meet so many various people of different backgrounds, I go to different parks, malls and other places and if my children get along with another child then I will introduce myself to their mother. Same goes for when I'm out on my own, I may find a common ground and start talking.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 4:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• And I mean REAL friends, not CafeMom friends, lol.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• all my friends are in the same economic class as i am but most are black.... i get along better with black women for some reason
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i don't think i "look" for people in my economic class i think its more these are the people i associated with on a daily basis. at work (when i worked), in my neighborhood, at the grocery store, or at events for my DH work (hes navy so there isn't really too big of a diff until you start getting higher up). as far as race, i am white, i have hispanic, mexican, black, asian and all diff races of friends, then again alot of them i meet through the navy as well so its more what i am exposed to on a reg basis.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• no, not really. I become friends with who ever I happen to click with no matter their race or economic class. While most of my friends are in the same economic class as I am, its not because they are the one's a searched out but rather they are the ones I'm around the most.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 3:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My closest friends are black, white, mexican, asian, puerto rican, and indian. So no, I don't really go for ones who are just my race lol. Most of them are in my "economic class" but I do have a few who are better off, only because their parents are rich and they lucked out, not because they worked harder!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think that's natural though. My friends are mostly white but that's because in my area, that's about all you see. I have some black friends too though. To me, the race isn't a huge issue. I don't care about that. Income is semi-important though. My husband and I make a lot and it gets really old having "friends" ask us for money. Or, they get jealous of things we have and that causes problems. We keep our income level quiet because we feel it's not anyone's business but they know what my husband does and what I do and people do usually know it pays incredibly well. I don't look at that stuff as a requirement for friendship. I look at parenting styles more than anything.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I'm an equal opportunist. skin color doesn't determine the personality and economic status's change.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 3:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• good grief no, I'll take whoever will have me! I'm old I can't be picky! I could "wake up dead" tomorrow so have to love all my friends of every race, creed, color and gender while I still have breath in me!

Answer by admckenzie at 4:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I don't pick friends based on skin color...never have...and I don't ask others about their financial situations...so I guess the answer to your question is no.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2009