How many years left until we run out of resources.

I think this was an interesting graph that shows how many years we have left of different resources if we continue to consume at today's rate. When I look at a graph like this, I think how the US's consumerism will pay off in a way when we start digging through our landfills for resources when the rest of the world is out. I know, that's a twisted way to look at things. :) The less time is if the world consumed at half of US's rates, the larger time is if the world continues at it's current rate.

http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/archive/2605/26051202.jpg

smalltowngal

Asked by smalltowngal at 3:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-9 Credits)
  • that is an interesting graph. I read somewhere we still have around 100 years of gas consumption without drilling in places like Alaska, etc. There are still fossil fuels to use as well and finally we could burn peat! Who knows....we should be conscientious of how we treat the planet.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• People always talk about fossil fuels but that's not the real thing you need to worry about running out of. It's things like silver and copper. Silver is used with so many things from medicine, mirrors, batteries, jewelry, etc.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 5:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Wow, learning something new as we speak. Thanks for the info!

I didn't realize how much we use and all the different things we use either.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• We use very little. And I wish I could say it was because of something as noble as the environment! I'm just really, really cheap. I have a tiny titanium wedding band and no engagement diamond.

Just for kicks, we took that carbon footprint test the gov put out, and we use less than 1/20th of what the average American does. There really is no need to be wasteful, and you don't need to jump on board a cause to have some common sense.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Just for kicks, we took that carbon footprint test the gov put out, and we use less than 1/20th of what the average American does. There really is no need to be wasteful, and you don't need to jump on board a cause to have some common sense.

I did that carbon footprint and I think we would need 3 earths if everyone lived like us. We have started cutting back and be quite as wasteful.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 9:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• We treat the planet with reckless indifference and our children and grandchildren will pay the price. Global warming , new environmental chemical contaminants widely used in plastics which affect animal and human endocrine systems, not regulated by government agencies, for which there are no safety standards and no known means of removing them from drinking water, the future crises caused by escalating oil prices once the recession ends and the Asian imports get into high gear again...the list goes on and on. And teabaggers want less government. Only governments are able to to command the resources and powers to tackle these problems and the longer they are neglected, the higher the future costs will be.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2009