How do i get my 7yo to stop wetting the bed at night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make sure he/she doesn't drink ANYTHING for at LEAST and hour before bedtime and make they he/she goes to the bathroom before bed. You could even go as far as to wake them up in the middle of the night to take them to the bathroom. If that doesn't help I would take him/her to the doctor. =] GL
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Wetting the bed can be as a result of a psychological issue.

Do not put pressure on your child as this will make it worse and dont scold them.
    Anonymous

• First, talk to your doctor. Make sure there are no medical problems. You may need to see a urologist to be certain.
    There are lots of things you can try, from waking him in the middle of the night until he learns to wake himself to bedwetting alarms which do the same thing. Just make certain he knows it is NOT his fault. He can no more help it than a sleepwalker can help sleepwalking or someone who snores help that.

http://www.aap.org/healthychildren/07winter/wakingupdry.pdf
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• sometimes this is a sign of stress. new house, new school, teasing kids, bulling, someone moving in, someone moving out. any changes really. talk to him and find out what may be bothering him, and I agree with the above post, make sure he knows it is not his fault. I'v read that some kids (boy in particular) are not considered fully potty trained till 10years old.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 12:09 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My daughter just turned 8 and still wets the bed. She is a very heavy sleeper. We have started setting an alarm for her in the middle of the night to go use the bathroom. Unfortunatly nothing else has worked. The doc told us that as soon as she gets used to getting up and doing it every night it will get easier. Wish I had a fast working remidy too! But your child is not alone 20% of children their age wet the bed.
    Sara722

Answer by Sara722 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• all these answers are great. there are meds you child could take but i know that they dont generaly worry about it until about 10 years old.

my son is a heavy sleeper (no alarm clock wakes him) and wore pullups until they stopped fitting him. he is about to be 15 and STILL wets 4 out of maybe 7 days. he is a diabetic, thats been from age 10 but not the issue.

it is really hard to be patient and understanding.
    Dawn2plus1

Answer by Dawn2plus1 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2009