Why is there not an outrage against him, but there is one against her?

Here is Obama on CNN on gay marriage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6K9dS9wl7U
"I believe that marriage is a union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union." - Obama 10/08

Here is Miss California's comment:

"We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."

Why is she being bashed for her belief, but no one comments on President Obama same belief?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Double standards.
    Anonymous

• She's prettier of course!
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• That's a great question. Personally, I believe neither one of them is right. Maybe b/c he's the president?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Thats true. IF you are gonna criticize one for their belief, opinion...should do it to everyone. No matter who they are.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• You stole my question, thief. If you're going to quote me word for word, at least give me credit ROFL http://www.cafemom.com/answers/183917/So_why_did_you_vote_for_him

And near as I can tell is, the answer lies somewhere in people speaking without thinking.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• First, I'm pretty sure that a lot of people were very disappointed in Obama's statement. He wasn't called an idiot for it because he didn't say "No offense, it's just how I was raised" which makes her seem very young and ignorant. Also, she seems to be laboring under the assumption that same-sex marriage is something that can be freely chosen in this country, which is naive.

But I don't think she should be getting bashed for it, she said what she thought and really wasn't that offensive. I disagree with her, and I think she should have been more prepared to answer this kind of question (it was bound to come up!) but it's not that horrible. She might have just been trying to give the judges what she thought they wanted to hear: "wholesome, traditional values." She miscalculated, if that's the case.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Maybe because Obama is prepared to not allow his personal spiritual convictions to effect how the rights of others are respected in this country? Also, when you qualify your opinion with a statement such as "No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised" it waters down both the appearance of your confidence in your own statement & the validity of your view since your chalking it up to the values of your parents rather than your on personal beliefs & outlook. I see the statements as different in those regards.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 4:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Miss California said it with grace , integrity and it came across with power. You can see her heart and people hate that . President Obama's comes across much differently. It's how it is said, the body language and what is said and the heart behind it. She didn't respond to please people. I think she very well knew she lost the crown but that wasn't the most important thing. She took a stand and did not waver in it. She makes more of a powerful leader than Pres. Obama does. No offense but I could tell the difference!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Ummm, maybe because she said in her county it should be so she is kinda promoting that same sex marriage should be banned.

She said what she feels should be...He said what he feels it IS but never said that is actually what it SHOULD be.

IDK Just speculation on my part.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 4:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• NotPanicking

I did, sorry did not mean any disrespect. I just wanted some religious views.
    Anonymous