How can I help get over the resent I have for my in laws?

My baby is six weeks old and before I had them they had basically nothing to do with my husband and I. Now that I had him they are always begging us to come see them, they come up to see us, and it is hard for me because I basically hate them. They don't treat me like I am that kid's mother and act like my opinion doesn't matter. Plus they are giving my baby bad habits. The first week they would not put my baby down at all and now he won't sleep in his own crib. We co-sleep. So then my MIL talks like I'm less of a mother because I co-sleep and that it is a problem but she herself sleeps with her nine year old until she falls asleep. Only then will she go sleep in her own bed.

and this may be selfish of me, but this weekend they came to visit and my husband woke me up saying his mom is bringing sonic for everyone. Well, when she got back she had nothing for me because she "didn't know what I wanted".

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Move and leave no forwarding addess? LOL!! I am sorry, I don't know what to tell you. I have no MIL. My son doesn't see his fathers family and they know better than to mess with how I parent my child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• She got everyone else breakfast burritos. Why couldn't she order one more??

and she'll let her nine year old daughter do whatever she wants with him behind my back. I ask them to wash their hands before holding him because they don't after they use the restroom. GROSS! So they will when I ask but not when I am not around.

How can I make all this stop?
    UGH! I hate hating people but I don't know how else to feel about them.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• PLUS (sorry, I am kind of ranting) we had gotten back from their house one weekend and maggots were all over our home so we had to spend a week at a friend's while they were poisoning our house. So we were planning on cleaning the weekend. They decide they want to come see us that weekend. Well, I thought they were coming to help us clean. NOPE! They just sat around eating their BREAKFAST BURRITOS and watched me clean.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I donno how to answer your question coz my in laws are the same!. If i go to visit i'm the maid. No one else lifts a finger. I don't visit them unless if there is a death. I work full time outside the home and i sometimes volunteer to work during holidays so that DH goes to visit them on his own. Plus they always want money from us URGGHH. I soooooo hate them right now.
    maimutsa

Answer by maimutsa at 12:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Sounds familiar...Your DH may have to do what mine did and tell his "wonderful" mother to grow up or go away. It may help, it may not. In my case, it didn't. Check out my journals if you want the whole story with that. Its stressful to be around rude people, and I'd consider them rude if they can't deal with a few simple requests from you and DH. Its not their place to judge your skills are a parent or talk down to you in any way. Its obvious that they only come over to see the baby now that you have one. They need to respect you and DH's decisions, parenting or other wise. Or they can stay away. Make that their choice. :)
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• sweetie sadly you're neer be perfect in your MIL's eyes but you and your husband need to put a foot down. i go through the same thing except my MIL drops subtle hints and i catch them really well. we will never be them and can't take care of their sons as "well" as they can.
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2009