Got a call from school today WWYD?

My son is in 6th grade. The school has a policy that if they do not have their homework they have to call a parent. So, son calls me today and says he was suppose to Math, questions 1-8. He did the whole page because he didn't look at the homework board. He just knew what page and assumed all of it. His fault. He did more work, never hurt a kid. But he did it in pen instead of pencil. So he gets no credit for work and cannot redo in pencil. First of all, why did he have to call me at work when he did the assignment. Should he really lose all credit? I'm kinda flipping here and want to call teacher but have to calm down first. Should I let this go or call? I don't want to think she is picking on him but come on, isn't this petty? I have already spoke to son and he will not do Math in pen again and will look at board more carefully.

yldflwr

Asked by yldflwr at 4:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I can see both sides. Your son should have followed the directions and written in pencil. Another lady mentioned homework and assignments not just being about the work assigned, but following directions and discipline. I agree with that.

However, if this is his first offense.. then the teacher should recognize that and give him the credit but should also remind him of the rules. I think it is a good idea to call the teacher and discuss it with her. You may find that she does indeed feel that the above reasons justified not giving the credit. I always support teacher/parent relationships. Definitely a good idea to calm before you call... as my initial reaction would have been the same. ;)

QueenieSue

Answer by QueenieSue at 6:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Wow, my son's school has the same call policy, but, wow. I would have flipped a tit. He did the damn work...he should get the credit. IMO
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Maybe you should ask the teacher if she can withhold credit because he did it in pen, but then give him credit for doing all the extra problems? Sort of a compromise, where both sides win (your son and the teacher).
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 4:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• that is ridiculous- as a teacher (student teacher) I am so happy to receive work that a student did I would accept it with a huge smile and remind him pencil is preferred and to read the board carefully... He would def get his points and mom would not have been bothered with this...wow... how anal
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• he should get the credit, it was a homework assignment not a test and he actually did do the work he was supposed to even if he couldn't remember what numbers he didn't use that as an excuse, he did the whole page to be sure he did it. i would call the teacher ask why she isn't giving him credit and if i didn't like the answer go to the principal, thats crap to me. he did the work!
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• He should get the credit. If it doesn't say anything about doing your homework in pencil or pen, then thats the damn teacher/schools fault. Not your sons. I would be irate.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• It's a little hard to swallow but homework is never just about the specific problems to do. It is about teaching discipline, organization, following the rules. I think one assignment won't hurt him. Hopefully, it was the only lesson he'll need about paying attention and following directions.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If it is a policy to do the math work in pencil and he did it in pen, then the teacher has every right to not give credit. It may not be fair, but that is the policy. It should be the only reminder he needs to follow directions. It was the policy in many of my sons classes but they gave partial credit for during the assignment in. He is in 6th grade, he should no better to follow the directions that he is given. I would ask about getting him partial credit for doing all the questions.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree for talking to the teacher and agruing for credit for doing the homework'just tell his teacher that you have talked to your son and he promised that he wouldn't do his math with pen anymore.After all he did do his work. it's not like he forgot to to it.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 5:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I would have a talk w/ the teacher and let her know you think she is picking on him. That is ridiculus!
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 5:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009