10 weeks with a couple of questions

This is my first pregnancy so I know nothing about being pregnant

I'm 10 weeks & I don't feel pregnant at all except having to use the bathroom a lot!
My 1st question is when should i start sleeping on my left side? & how necessary is it? I'm recovering from ankle surgery & got used to sleeping on the right side so I am very uncomfortable on the left (yea laugh cause i did LMAO@ getting pregnant w/ a broken ankle wearing a cast)
Also me & my boyfriend were wondering how many weeks will it be until we find out what we're having

I haven't been able to see a doctor because I'm waiting for my medicaid to switch over so for now the internet is my main source for answers

MsQuiana

Asked by MsQuiana at 4:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you can find out around 18 weeks the sex of the baby, most wait til about 20 weeks though to be sure that you are actually that far along. you don't HAVE to sleep on your left side, it is suggested b/c blood flows to the baby better that way however its not neccesary. i've never had a doc tell me i had to sleep on my left side. they just suggest sleeping on your side b/c it is more comfy later in pregnancy, when you get big it will be hard to breath on your back and if you are on your stomach baby presses into you.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• 20 weeks you can find out the sex. Left side is more important when you get bigger if you arent comfortable then neither is baby.
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 4:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• thanks guys i can be comfortable for now when i sleep without worrying about which side i should be on!
    MsQuiana

Answer by MsQuiana at 4:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yeah it's usually around 20 weeks that your OB will schedule an ultrasound to get measurements of the baby and it's usually just easier to tell the sex then.

As far as sleeping on your left side, I always just slept in whatever position was comfy. Later in your pregnancy as you get bigger, it will tend to be comfier on either one of your sides. I slept on my back and sides well into my 7th month. After that, sleeping on my back became uncomfortable because it was harder to breathe with a larger baby inside.....I never really could sleep on my stomach anyway let alone after I was preggo.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 4:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I slept how I wanted.... including on my tummy and back.... sometimes I would wake up in those positions, so I would say that while back sleeping in later pregnancy can be bad and belly sleeping can smoosh things even more, there's really no wrong sleeping position
    Anonymous

• Polly I'm the complete opposite lol i love sleeping on my stomach but since i broke my ankle i haven't been able to do that comfortably and now that I'm pregnant its going to be a long time before i will again

my mom said she slept on her stomach while pregnant but I'm trying my best not to
    MsQuiana

Answer by MsQuiana at 4:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Since I've found out I was pregnant I just make it a point to sleep on my sides whether left or right and sometimes I'll lay on my back for a few minutes.. Due in 13 days thank the good Lord.
    If it's a boy you can determine the sex around 16 weeks, but it's way clear at 20 weeks.
    feelgoodinc

Answer by feelgoodinc at 5:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2009