how would i switch a breastfed baby to formula

Im trying to have my daughter,whom is breastfed, switch to formula so it would make it easier for me to go back to work.

jamieandolivia

Asked by jamieandolivia at 4:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are set on switching your child to formula, do it very gradually. Adding formula to a EBF babies diet can really shock their digestive system. I'm a very research and fact oriented person so I feel driven to explain why... The basis of most formulas is cows milk. Thus the protein is double the size of human milk protein. This can cause (even in children FF from the beginning) upset stomach, gas, indigestion, frequent spit-up, and constipation. Therefore, you can give your child a bottle that contains BM and formula. Start with a bottle that is 90% BM and 10% formula (properly mix according to package specification). Then gradually increese the % of formula and decrees the % of BM. In most cases you will need to try several formulas before finding one that is suitable for your child. However, many mother can work and sucessfully BF, check out www.lli.org for more great info.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 5:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• First off you need to get her used to a bottle if you haven't already done that. So, start off with pumped breast milk and then slowly switch it up to formula. She may not even notice.
    Anonymous

• Why not just try pumping? It'll be better for her.
    Anonymous

• she didn't ask your opinion on pumping or breast feeding. she asked about formula, why does everyone have to attack people when they say they are switching to formula or they are strictly formula fed?
    i would go with the first persons response.
    Anonymous

• Do it gradually. First anon has a pretty good idea on how to start. And the second anon, obviously dhe has made up her mind so why try to change it? Just wondering.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Not trying to attack at all... but what about nursing when the two of you are together and giving formula while you are at work? You can do both. Breastfeeding isn't all or nothing.

If that's not an option then doing it gradually is probably your best bet. Good luck!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• why in heck would you want to do that. Breastmilk is 1000 times better than any formula crap. Just because it is 'easier' doesnt make it better, you're compromising your babys health by switching to formula......
    Anonymous

Funny. This doesn't sound like an "attack" to me. It sounds like a helpful fact. Breast milk is better for the baby. Everyone wants what's best for babies, even other people's babies.
    You can pump at work (the law defends that right) and breastfeed at home. Even if you're exclusively or primarily pumping, you can take herbal supplements to keep your supply up. You can use breast shaped bottle nipples to avoid confusion. You can work and nurse. So giving up nursing for work is pointless and unfair to the baby. Supplement if you truly must, but don't quit what's best for her. There's no need for you to take those health risks and spend all that money. Message me if you need any help.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Formula is not necessary if you would like to continue to BF, and its not all or nothing either. Your body will adjust and if you'd like to BF once or twice a day you can still do that.

I'm a full time worker and I know how hard it is...pumping sucked but I did it. With my older 2 I was in school (ad had other issues causing downed supply)and no one told me I could do both so I just went straight to FFing, wish I had atleast tried to do the partial thing, SOME BM is better than NONE
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• working moms pump all the time, dont know why you feel you have to go to all formula just so you can work, dont short change your baby, your baby deserves the BEST so why not look into breast pumps and just do that? Unless you dont care to give your baby second best :(
    You CAN do it mama, its not as hard as you think! Good luck!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 5:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2009