I am a working mom with a 5 month old who's only source food is breastmilk. Baby only get bottles duing the day while at the sitter. I find that during an eight hour workday, she would only drink maybe 10 ounces of milk. To me, that seems like hardly anything. She nurses well during the night (about three feedings) and also before I drop her off in the morning. I'm getting worried that she's not eating enough. She's not losing weight but she just recently lost about 7 ounces because she ha

April504

Asked by April504 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Kids' Health

• She may not like the bottle. Maybe it's time to start her on a little cereal to hold her through the day? Don't put it in her bottle though. Just have the sitter feed some to her during the day.
    yasabree

Answer by yasabree at 2:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I give here cereal in her bottle already.
    April504

Answer by April504 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Your full question does not appear - it may have been too long.

10 oz plus 4 nursing sessions could be on the low side, does she also nurse when you pick her up?

You said she's not losing weight but she lost 7oz, but then it cut you off...so I'm not really sure what to make about that.

There is a group here called Breastfeeding Moms that should be able to help, and feel free to PM me with questions. I have been nursing my daughter for just over a year now.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I would give ehr cereal, but not in a bottle....
    Anonymous

• I was told that a baby only needs to get 36 oz during a day. If your baby gets 10 oz at daycare and nurse 4 + times while with you and doesnt appear dehydrated - I wouldnt stress, but possibly bring it up at your next pedi appt.
    Sophiasmom119

Answer by Sophiasmom119 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• As long asshe is having 6 wet diapers a day and is gaining a little weight, she should be great.
    audiesmomma

Answer by audiesmomma at 3:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I agree with Audiesmomma.

Also, there are other breastfeeding groups that you can join besides the one mentioned above. Check my page, if you want breastfeeding group ideas:)
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 3:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Thanks for the PMs. Unless your daughter starts dropping weight (not from being sick) and/or doesn't have 5-6 wet diapers a day she is good. It TOTALLY sounds like she's right on track and you're just being a worrisome mama, not a bad thing. :)
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Six wet diapers and moderate weight gain are fine. Be sure to nurse often and exclusively when you are together in the pm and wkends. The rice cereal may be having a negative effect on your supply, not to mention that it is poorly digested, interferes with your baby's absorption of the natural iron in your bm, and is nutritionally..GARBAGE. Check out www.llli.org and www.kellymom.com for trusted bf info.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 7:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• check the nipple or the bottle system you are using. One that is more like the breast. You could pump maybe and see if she is boycotting the formula.
    Roxanne0607

Answer by Roxanne0607 at 12:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2008