what is your opinion about a single mom driving from fort worth texas to savanna georgia????

i have a very nice truck that i will be driving and i have my daughter, she is 14 months old..which i also have things to intertain her with..

ANYWAYS... my parents are making it into a big deal so what is your opinoin??? is it TOO DANGERIOUS to drive by myself for 15 hours???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• I drove from Texas to Virginia...with just me and my son. twice. We even slept in the car at a rest stop and a Wal-Mart parking lot.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Nope-as long as your safe. Not to make you paranoid-but just be sure that you don't stop in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere. I would make sure that you have tow numbers and people you can call if you do need help.

Just be safe, use common sense.
    Anonymous

• I drove to Boston from Atlanta (about 1,000 miles) when my daughter was 1 month old. It was easy, but i did stop a lot. And yes i was alone. I had no choice though......long story.......
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I've done a 20 hour drive (straight through by my self) you are going to need to stay the night in a hotel some where. trust me. especially if you are going to have your LO with you. try not to travel at night or stop any where deserted. make sure you know which exits you are between in case you need to call 911. and of course bring a cell phone. good luck!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 4:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No do little tricks. My kids are older so I bring along a portable potty, that way I don't have to go into nasty rest areas or keep stopping, I can pull over and keep the doors locked. I am VERY saftey concious (yes I know spelled wrong) so I usually don't make any stops. Worked for me from Fla to Houston, Texas (about 18 hours)
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I drove from central, Texas to St. Louis in one shot with 2 kids under 3 in the car. Then from St. L to WV 2 days later
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• You are a grown women. You should know how to be safe. Take breaks so you are not sleepy. Other than that, you should be fine. They are just concerned about you.  If you have a cell phone, that would be better.  Be safe driving!

Anonymous

• The strip of interstate that you will likely be driving I-20 East is a very unsafe interstate. No one has ever figured out typically why, but there are alot of reports of criminal that take that highway. Many people have been robbed, cars taken, children taken, women raped. Having raised my children just a few miles from that interstate on the outside of Atlanta, I have real experience not only physically, but also from the Atlanta news that have always remarked on this part of the country's roads. Rest stops are not safe.

Several years ago, I had 3 small children in the back seat and was waiting at the I-20 gas station to p/u my nephew from a school ride. 2 men sitting in their car behind the gas station approached me so I cracked my window to let them speak and they declared my left rear tire was flat (which they couldn't have seen from the side of my car they walked from). It was very scary for me b/c they asked...
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• cont...me to get out of the car to see. They offered to help me change it and again declared the tire was flat. I knew it not to be true. This was the middle of the afternoon and people were everywhere pumping gas, going in and out of the store, but no one to help me unless I started screaming but I was not harmed...yet. Anyway, got home called the police who called the FBI. It was a big deal. Scary, most of all to imagine what they were after.

A few years later, the same nephew was driving with a friend and stopped for gas near the 6 flags gas station (again on I-20) and their car was taken at gun point, along with themselves. The guys threw them out of the car down the road and took the car. My nephew and his friend are BIG boys. The car was later found, and was taken apparent. for a joy ride. Scarey for my nephew.

Your desire to travel may be so strong that you are not able to see the danger.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I used to drive back and forth from Georgia to L.A. all the time. No big deal!
    dannysmom73

Answer by dannysmom73 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2010