• In the Spotlight:

My 10 month old will not take formula I just recently quit breastfeeding her. I need her to get more calories and take the formula. Any suggestions?

kmedwards

Asked by kmedwards at 5:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its not about the calories it about the NUTRIENTS...is there NO way you can atleast pump for her or nurse her...

Its virtually impossible to force a child to drink formula...ever tasted it? Organic formulas tend to be sweeter and it may help.

Look into donated milk just in case you can't BF again
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Have you tried adding rice cereal to it? This is a tough one. She'll drink when she's hungry eventually, but I know that doesn't warm a Mother's heart. I'm not sure....good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Babies need either breast milk or formula for a bare minimum of 12 months. She won't take the formula. It's nasty stuff. So just keep nursing her. If you can't, pump. If you can't, get another woman's milk for her.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• The logical thing to do is if she isn't taking the formula go back to nursing her?
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Goat's milk if you don't want to start cow milk.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 5:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My doctor had my dd switch to whole milk at that point because she was so close to one. I know I'm going to be mercilessly beaten for even suggesting it. But talk to your doctor and see what he says. I had to quit nursing at around 10 months because I got pregnant again and couldn't stand it. I cried the entire time my dd would nurse.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• goats milk is actually dangerous under a year as well as cows milk..it doens't contain the NUTRIENTS the baby needs and also doesn't contain the iron....i would just pump for her.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Smart baby!! Follow her lead. You'll be happy you did!
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 5:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Did you quit breastfeeding because you needed her to get more calories? Breast milk actually contains just as many calories as infant formula, and at 10 months it probably contains more. Just out of curiosity, did the pediatrician say that she needed to gain weight? This is common with breastfed babies and is often more a sign that the pediatrician is clueless about breastfed babies than anything else.

If you WANT to quit, that's one thing. If you're quitting because someone told you that your baby isn't gaining, there are other ways to get the baby to gain weight. I'd be happy to share some tricks and techniques with you. :)
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 5:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree with a few posters here. Try formula and you'll understand why she won't drink it. It's yucky anyway, but she's used to the good stuff for 10 months. If there's no medical reason why you can't continue....then the best thing is to continue nursing her. Good luck!
    BttrMom0407

Answer by BttrMom0407 at 6:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2009