Should I take my 3 yr old to the ER?

I just moved to Massachusetts and don't have a pediatrician yet. My three year old son was playing with his uncle and ran into the sheetrock wall. Now he has a raised black and blue on his forehead. He is concious and acting absolutely normal . Should I take him to the ER?

MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Asked by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 5:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree...keep an eye on him & wake him up throughout the night, and ice- that's all the ER would probably do anyway right now. Get him in right away though if he starts acting squirrely :)
    Shellynn9876

Answer by Shellynn9876 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No, he's fine. He just has a goose egg. Put some ice on it
    Anonymous

• How long ago did you move? Id say call you previous doctor and explain the situaltion, they will usually continue advice and be willing to do a bit of phone triage and tell you what to watch for even if they cant see the child. I work for a Family practice office that does pediatric care and we do this more than you would think with vacationers and people who moved away. Mostly go with your motherly instincts hun... If you are in fear for your childs health air on the side of caution but id try to call the doctor and see what they say. =)
    MOMBirthDoula

Answer by MOMBirthDoula at 5:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't. I would just keep a close eye on him for the next 24 hours. The er will either over test him, or jsut tell you to keep an eye on him. If he is acting fine, then I would say, he is fine.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2009