military wives. . .

My hubby is in the army. He has a safe job. (we agreed when he entered that he would NOT go into anything infantry. thats just us.) so now, just a few years later he is pushing and pushing to get into Special Forces.

Its not something that would come between us. But we mad an agreement when he first entered about it. And he is really pushing it now.

Did any one else's hubby switch from a very safe job to something like that?
Yes I am a chicken, and I worry about him getting hurt. And yes, I know that when its his time, it will happen. There or here. I just don't like the worry. I get scared when he goes flying around the fob. . .

(this is in just for fun because there are more replys here sorry)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You should be worried. My husband, before we met was in pararescue. It's hard and he almost drowned b/c he held his breath too long under the water. They had to do CPR on him twice and then wanted him to get back in the pool. Since you both agreed before he went in that he wouldn't do anything too risky then I think it's unfair that he is going back on the agreement. Why does he want to do it? When you are military there is always a risk, no matter what job you do. You can be augmenteed to be infantry too. If you think you guys can handle this then give him your blessing.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 5:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My husband is in the Navy and looking at cross rating to several different jobs, one of which would put him in even more danger than he is in now. I dont like it, and it worries me, but I will support him. IMO the important thing is that he's happy doing his job. If he feels stuck somewhere and he's miserable its going to negatively affect our whole family. Not to mention if he feels I am the reason he's stuck there, he'll end up resenting me. So my advise to you would be to support him. If going SF is what will make him happy, and give him fulfillment in his job, then your whole family will benefit from that. Also, talk to him, tell him exactly how you feel (in a nice way..lol) but let him know that you will be there no matter what.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 5:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• He knows my thoughts on it. we've had this same conversation many times now. I'm to the point where i am telling him to just go for it.
    He has always wanted to fly, and he was set on going into warrant school to fly. But now (i know its not just his idea. his sgts think he'd be good. .) he is really wanting to persue this.
    I told him that I will not hold him back if this is what he really wants. I asked him what made him want it more, the job itself, or the perks of the job, and he said both. So I dont' know how to take that. . .Its just a major shift. He'd be in school for 6-8 months, so we'd move, and then our plans that we have for the future would be totally changed. (and yes, I know that nothing is ever set in stone, but I'm a teacher, and I can't just go somewhere to get a job for a few months, then leave again. He knows that. .)

I love the military life, but this part is so frusterating.
    Anonymous

• Ok first- no job is "safe" none of them. Some are less likely to be harmed, but not safe. The way I see it, God has a plan. When it is his time, whether he is golfing, or jumping out of an airplane- it will be his time. I have always supported DH and anything has wanted to do. He has been talking about going warrant and flying which scares the begeezies out of me- but I want him to have my full support in any dream he might have.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Military is anything but ordinary. If you don't have a problem with it,then let him persue his dream, but marriage is compromise. Is there a 2nd choice that he might want to try?
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 5:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If you keep him from doing it, he may resent you forever. I agree, no job is 'safe'. My BIL was a Blackhawk crewchief. Aviation. But HIS job was not very safe. Not in Iraq anyway. SF isn't for everyone, your hubby may try for it, not get in, or decide it's not what he really wants. My husband does prop and rotor repair. I'd rather him do that then fly, which he doesn't want to do anyway. He used to be infantry, now aviation. I honestly would rather SF over Rangers though!
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2009