Head Lice

My kids have lice AGAIN does anyone know how to get rid of it with out using the expensive shampoo. Thank You

4boysandmom

Asked by 4boysandmom at 5:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• i've had to use mayonaise instead of the chemical filled shampoo's because the shampoo's can burn the scalp. But i was told that mayonaise suffocates them, it was extremely gross but it did work, you use it just like the lice shampoo. Otherwise if it's a girl with long or thick hair, you may want to use a hair straightener if she'll sit still for that. The heat of it will kill any actual bugs it hits, and the heat will also kill any eggs it touches, but with using a hair straightener or hot iron you have to be careful not to burn them and you have to do it everyday for atleast 10 days or whatever they said the incubation period for lice is.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• tea tree oil
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• if you have insurance, it should pay for it if your dr will give a prescription.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I just read at http://www.headliceinfo.com/faqs.htm that Olive oil is the best to use

Answer by admckenzie at 5:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• DO THIS AND IT"LL WORK! CETAPHIL. Saturate your kid's hair totally with it. Then blow it dry. Do this for 2 weeks straight. It suffocates the lice that are there and new ones cannot cling to the hair shaft once coated. Blowing it dry also kills lice and eggs but you have to do it two weeks from the last time you saw a live louse. Also, throw all sheets, blankets, pillows, coats, packs into the dryer each day for 25 minutes. This will kill lice/eggs. But you have to do the work, you just have to or you'll be stuck for ages with it!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Also, put tea tree oil in their shampoo or in a spray bottle mixed with water for prevention. I spray my boys every morning.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If you have insurance ask your doc to call in Ovide it stinks to high heaven but it works. I never had to go back over my DD's head. This stuff kills everything. Smells like kerosene but it works the best.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• all natural honey. saturate her hair in honey cover it with a plastic bag or like i used a shower cap and leave over night or at least 5 hrs do that for 3to 4 days and should do the trick.
    simsim0425

Answer by simsim0425 at 3:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I remembered when my kids had lice I was told coconut oil worked so I looked up an article for you. Coconut shampoo and conditioner gets rid of lice. I have four girls. A few years ago we had a reoccuring lice problem. I was frantic. Nothing worked. From a search on the Internet, I discovered coconut shampoo. The coconut oil kills them. We got Suave coconut shampoo and conditioner (87 cents a bottle), and every morning for about a week, they would wash their hair with the shampoo, put the conditioner on, and then call me. I would comb through the conditioner combing out bugs and nits. Then they'd rinse. We did that everyday until nothing combed out. Haven't had lice since. Now we alternate with coconut shampoo every other bottle we buy as a preventive measure. We haven't had lice since, nor has anyone else I told about it. It's a serious problem in our schools as well.
    Hope this helps

CynthiaJesseen

Answer by CynthiaJesseen at 9:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2009