How do I get my 19 month old to wear a patch over her eye for therapy?

My daughter has glasses and which her right eye crosses the therapist wants her to wear a patch over her good eye for an hour a day and she absolutely hates it. The therapist says its the best way to make her weak eye strong. Has anyone ever had to deal with this and what did you do to make it work?

amanda62382

Asked by amanda62382 at 5:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• duct tape solves all problems!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 5:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Use a big band aid. Its harder for her to pull off that way. So get yourself a box of huge band aids.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• try making it kinda like a game. get some books from the library and maybe some videos about pirates who wear eyepatches and try making it fun. I know the fun is gonna wear off easy but maybe if your into it, she'll be into it. I know there aren't to many girls who want to be pirates, but it's worth a shot.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Sunglasses over the patch work great and Mommy should wear a pair also....make it a family fun thing. My daughter had the same problem also and patching the eye works. Your have to do something exciting for that hour.....take a walk...play at the park etc....
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 5:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I've NEVER heard of a therapist treating a crossed eye. I strongly urge you to get her to a pediatric opthamologist. It could very well be more than just a crossed eye and vision is nothing to take lightly.

I have two with crossed eyes, one of which had to have surgery, and one hour a day isn't going to do anything, sorry. The lowest amount of time we had from the doctor was three hours a day. And then you have to watch the other eye to see if it starts to turn in.

Is she farsighted? That helps with correction, too. The more farsighted they are, the better chance there is of glasses correcting the problem.

If you go some where in your area that specializes in children's glasses, you can find a patch that fits OVER the glasses. It slides right on and if they want to take it off, they have to remove the glasses, too.

Put in her favorite movie. If she takes off the patch, stop the movie.
    Anonymous

• Lazy eye - I had it my sister and my nephew (he was 2 & has to wear patch) I found eyepatches with designs on them they were like band aid material & we would make a big deal and he could pick what design/charachter, etc he wanted to have that day. Go online and see if they stil have them - it worked for us and made it not so terrible for a little one
    yenko

Answer by yenko at 8:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2009